Virus protection for IPad 2

Started by twitter3, March 29, 2014, 05:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twitter3

What is a reliable and good virus protection for an IPad2?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Barthheart

Do you need virus protection? Is there any? I've had my iPad 2 for about 2 years now and have never heard of any or a need for any.....

twitter3

A warning message popped up on the screen saying I may have 3 viruses that have (or maybe it said may) infect my camera and compromise my pictures. Then it Sid you should get this and it took me to the App Store and it was some photo app. I didn't click on it, but it freaked me out as I had never seen that type of message before.

Staggerwing

What new apps have you downloaded lately? My guess is that something you got for free or at a very low price may have included some 'add ware' causing a scary pop up to get you to buy their (possibly even seemingly unrelated) product. This thing is reputedly very common on the wilds of the open Android marketplace but much less likely on iOS. It is not, however, impossible. Usually once Apple finds out they remove it from the app store but a clever programmer could slip some delayed action code into their app allowing them to get their stuff out there for a little while. Google your most recent downloads (last month or two) and see if anyone else had the same thing happen. Unless you already have some kind of AV product there should have been no way for a legit pop up to happen.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Staggerwing

One other question? Did you jailbreak your iPad?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

twitter3

I don't think it was an app. It popped up while on the internet. The only things I've dl are war games, skype, YouTube, and pandora.  I really believe it was something with the site - theChive.

I appreciate the info and help.

I am not familiar with the term jailbreak, unless you are talking Thin Lizzy!

Staggerwing

Jailbreaking is a way of 'hacking' your personal iPhone/ipad to allow you greater access to it's digital guts and tweak it beyond Apple's determinations as to what's good for you. Supposedly it also compromises some of the favorable protections that iOS includes as well.

Barthheart

Quote from: twitter3 on March 30, 2014, 06:58:09 PM
I don't think it was an app. It popped up while on the internet. The only things I've dl are war games, skype, YouTube, and pandora.  I really believe it was something with the site - theChive.

I appreciate the info and help.

I am not familiar with the term jailbreak, unless you are talking Thin Lizzy!

That sounds like adware on the site. I've never had that happen there but I mostly got the Chive on my PC.....

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

Their tablet version doesnt? that sux. :-[ I figured since it runs on their servers it would work.

Barthheart

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on March 31, 2014, 07:08:51 AM
Their tablet version doesnt? that sux. :-[ I figured since it runs on their servers it would work.

Whoops! Yer right it does operate for iPads.... found the small print...

$45/year might be a bit steep though....

twitter3

Thanks you two for all the info. The more I think about it the more I think it may have been adware. It took me to the App Store for a product. Freaked me out at first.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Barthheart on March 31, 2014, 08:31:23 AM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on March 31, 2014, 07:08:51 AM

Whoops! Yer right it does operate for iPads.... found the small print...

$45/year might be a bit steep though....

It is a 3 device license.