Pork and Beans

Started by solops, January 05, 2024, 12:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

I was fed canned Pork and Beans occasionally when i was a kid back in the 60s and no one was up to cooking. Usually had something with it like vienna sausage. We stock some for emergency meals and i had occasion to prepare a can today as we all had covid and no one felt like cooking, not much like eating either. Same brand as when I was a kid. I was really disappointed. I distinctly remember as a kid there being tiny pieces of pork and fat in the can, but no more. I searched for several minutes and could find nary a trace of anything but beans. Disappointment. It seemed pretty watery, as well. I added some molasses and red pepper and then ate them with chicken strips. Survival meal after three days of nought but electrolytes. Covid made everything taste weird, but i don't think it effected this meal. 😀 Anyway, it seems more and more that products are so much less than they used to be...watered down, cheaper ingredients and poorer quality. I think it is a bad decision on the part of the manufacturers. Pure profit margin is not everything. There is a market for better quality goods and a market share that goes with it, but it seems too many corporate bodies get focused on the next quarter's margins. I want my fatty pork pieces back! And screw the health police. Sometimes you need a shot of fatty carbs.

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

This is the saddest post I have read in a while. Feel better.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

a pack of Oscar Meyers hotdogs and a large can of Bush's Baked Beans and your solid.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

W8taminute

Fenway Franks are pretty good to, although I can't remember if they're kosher or not.  Never tried Hebrew National but I'm not sure I've seen them at my local grocery.  Will check tonight when I go with the WifeTM food shopping.

Otherwise I usually pick up Oscar Meyer's. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

You go with The Wife?? Why bother even having a wife, then?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sigwolf

Oscar Meyer's work purely on nostalgia, because that's what I grew up with.  Can't beat Hebrew National now, though.

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on January 05, 2024, 04:59:12 PMYou go with The Wife?? Why bother even having a wife, then?

Haha!  Yeah I used to stay home whilst she did the grocery shopping.  But now food shopping is an excuse to spend time together. 

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention that I completely forgot to search for Hebrew National Brand hotdogs.  Last night was an absolute mad house at the grocery store.  We're expecting to get pummeled by snow Sunday so everyone was out in full force.  Needless to say I was not a happy camper and just wanted to get the hell out of there.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Damn... you know how easy it is to make pork and beans solops?

I don't mean OK P&Bs, I mean you'll never eat a can of beans again P&Bs.

Online recipes abound. Give it a shot.

Here is a seriously nasty good one;

P&Bs #1

This one is pretty decent, although I use thick cut bacon

P&Bs #2

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

jamus34

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 05, 2024, 11:36:30 AMa pack of Oscar Meyers hotdogs and a large can of Bush's Baked Beans and your solid.

Hot Dog casserole...I had this meal more than my fair share of times as a kid.

Spoiler Alert - it wasn't because my family were huge fans of hot dogs or beans.
Insert witty comment here.