Nuclear Option - upcoming flight sim

Started by al_infierno, June 20, 2023, 05:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

"Nuclear Option is a combat flight game set on a dynamic and realistic battlefield of the near future. Use an array of advanced weapons to change the course of battles as you intercept bombers, duel fighters, fly under the radar, or unleash the fury of nuclear weapons on enemy formations."

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2168680/Nuclear_Option/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Released into first access for $14.99, seems to be getting ok reviews for a lighter sim...

al_infierno

Sounds like it's currently a low yield but high potential type of game.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 23, 2023, 07:06:38 PMReleased into first access for $14.99, seems to be getting ok reviews for a lighter sim...

96% is "ok"?  :tongue:

W8taminute

The fallout of fan criticism on this game is astounding.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

Downright megatons of good press. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 24, 2023, 10:12:02 AMHas anybody tried it? 

I was involved in the play test and have the early access version. It is an impressive little sim that does a nice job of mixing light fun into an authentic feeling sim. The variety of aircraft is great, but I wish the world felt a little more alive. The maps just seem a bit barren to me. I think this is being worked on by the developer. Otherwise, its my go to when I want a flight fix but don't have the time to get into my sim chair for DCS.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Bardolph

Picked it up last night. Played about 30 minutes mostly getting the controls worked out, just mouse and keyboard cause I was too lazy to go find a joystick and deal with that. Seemed pretty solid, I flew around in the tutorial jet, smashed it into the runway trying to find the flaps (there aren't any?) and it respawned me into a different plane that was armed so I took it up and flew around and shot some 50 cal and various missiles at what was probably a friendly town. Was. This one I managed to stick the landing.

I look forward to messing with it more this evening. My big question is how is multiplayer handled. Do they have a server or is it hosted by the player. Going to try to get my brother into it, so we can take a break from Battlebit, which is fun but we've played it a LOT lately.