Main Menu

STEAM Support ?

Started by Ian C, June 26, 2018, 07:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

:timeout: Ian, glad it worked out for you, but I'm hoping Steam Support does exist because I have an issue with a $20 Steam card code that is partially unreadable. ???  After carefully (I thought) removing the strip covering the code, 3 characters were destroyed.  I ran into this once before, but was able to decipher the code using a mag glass...this time, no joy. :'(  Sent in a support ticket with a photo and now waiting to hear.  Last time I buy one of those damn cards.  Digital from now on...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Tuna

Quote from: steve58 on June 26, 2018, 12:59:21 PM
:timeout: Ian, glad it worked out for you, but I'm hoping Steam Support does exist because I have an issue with a $20 Steam card code that is partially unreadable. ???  After carefully (I thought) removing the strip covering the code, 3 characters were destroyed.  I ran into this once before, but was able to decipher the code using a mag glass...this time, no joy. :'(  Sent in a support ticket with a photo and now waiting to hear.  Last time I buy one of those damn cards.  Digital from now on...

I've had that happen a few times, with the photo, they've always given me credit.

Philippe

The only time I ever had a Steam problem that I couldn't figure out the pre-programmed answer to, I sent a message to Steam support.

My heart was in my mouth because I was expecting no reply, or a very long wait and something that didn't make sense.

My problem was that I was putting Steam trading cards up for sale, but not getting an e-mail confirmation that I could answer to authorize putting them on the market.

I got an answer in under 24 hours and it suggested a half-solution. 

But when I went back to my account and tried it out,  I found to my delight and surprise that the problem had been fixed.

Steam support has a very bad and scary reputation.  Based on my limited exeperience, it isn't deserved.  Steam is operating on a gigantic scale, and most of the problems that I've read about can be chalked up to the user not being willing to understand that they mean it when Steam says the rules work a certain way. The two hour red flag is probably automated.

I've asked for a lot of refunds in the short time I've been using Steam.  I've yet to have a refund request get rejected, though based on the canned language in the emails they send out, I've gotten pretty close and it could always happen.

As a general rule when I ask for a refund I've played a game for a very short period of time (usually well under an hour), though once or twice my playing time might have been more like three hours.  I also make sure that I have completely uninstalled the game first, just to show I'm not kidding about not wanting the game. And finally, I give them some pretty explicit and detailed feedback about why I don't like that particular game when prompted.

Two hours means two hours.  They're not kidding, but they seem to be willing to turn a blind eye from time to time if you have a reasonable track record.  The thing I suspect you need to be mindful of is that there are a lot of people trying to scam them and game the system, so if anything you do accidently raises one of their red flags, they aren't going to play ball.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 26, 2018, 12:24:47 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on June 26, 2018, 12:20:02 PM
Stability and simply convenience it is an unrivalled success. I love steam.

No other place to collect games without ever having the need to play them all  :2funny:.

Yep. I was looking at my account the other day and noticed  a screen that listed all the games and what I paid for them. I began to scroll down to see if there was a total.. luckily I stopped myself before I got there
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

steve58

Quote from: Zulu1966 on June 26, 2018, 03:14:59 PM

No other place to collect games without ever having the need to play them all  :2funny:.

Yep. I was looking at my account the other day and noticed  a screen that listed all the games and what I paid for them. I began to scroll down to see if there was a total.. luckily I stopped myself before I got there

I think you, like the rest of us, don't really want to know that. >:D
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

DennisS

Quote from: steve58 on June 26, 2018, 03:21:06 PM

I have averaged about $40 a month since 2010, about eight years.

Eight times twelve times forty is .... just under $4k. I have 265 steam games, and this almost exactly $14.50 per game, on average. I buy a TON of games on sale. Hell..almost all of them.

I can deal with this. $40 a month isn't bad, for my main hobby. This also means that I purchase, on average, about three games a month. That's a bit high....I need to play the ones I have, not buy more of them.

jamus34

Quote from: steve58 on June 26, 2018, 03:21:06 PM

Rule #4 do not ask questions to which you do not want to know the answers
Insert witty comment here.

Ian C

Quote from: Philippe on June 26, 2018, 02:56:32 PM

Steam is operating on a gigantic scale, and most of the problems that I've read about can be chalked up to the user not being willing to understand that they mean it when Steam says the rules work a certain way. The two hour red flag is probably automated.

I've asked for a lot of refunds in the short time I've been using Steam.  I've yet to have a refund request get rejected, though based on the canned language in the emails they send out, I've gotten pretty close and it could always happen.

Two hours means two hours.  They're not kidding, but they seem to be willing to turn a blind eye from time to time if you have a reasonable track record.  The thing I suspect you need to be mindful of is that there are a lot of people trying to scam them and game the system, so if anything you do accidently raises one of their red flags, they aren't going to play ball.

It would be obvious to any employee looking at my track history, that I'm not a scammer and I have a valid legitimate reason for refund. I've clearly not been playing the game, just trying to find a solution to it not working and crashing. The STEAM T&C states that they will take a look and reconsider even if that two-hour limit is exceeded.

The problem here is that they obviously have no system in place that works to catch the legit requests that fall outside of the typical rules, even though they say they have.
As for STEAM being a huge operation - it also has huge turnover and profits and there is no reason they shouldn't have the customer service systems in place to perform properly and do what they say they will do on the T&C.

Smacks to me of 'take our money then leave it to the bots to deal with'.

jamus34

Quote from: Ian C on June 27, 2018, 06:40:26 AM

Steam is operating on a gigantic scale, and most of the problems that I've read about can be chalked up to the user not being willing to understand that they mean it when Steam says the rules work a certain way. The two hour red flag is probably automated.

It would be obvious to any employee looking at my track history, that I'm not a scammer and I have a valid legitimate reason for refund. I've clearly not been playing the game, just trying to find a solution to it not working and crashing. The STEAM T&C states that they will take a look and reconsider even if that two-hour limit is exceeded.

The problem here is that they obviously have no system in place that works to catch the legit requests that fall outside of the typical rules, even though they say they have.
As for STEAM being a huge operation - it also has huge turnover and profits and there is no reason they shouldn't have the customer service systems in place to perform properly and do what they say they will do on the T&C.

Not that it makes it right but that's pretty much every modern corporation.  With the telecoms forget about it, even if you legally in the right there response is usually "fuck you, take us to court we'll either destroy you anyway with our army of lawyers or drag it out to infinity and bankrupt you"

Most big box companies that have hired on 3rd party return and claim clearing has taken similar approaches although with Amazon they really cannot afford the  PR hit and have started walking away from the hardline stance of banning returns of a person is found to be excessive.

This is the difference real competition provides and is the only protection a consumer has in a truly capitalistic society. 

And I'll stop my rant here...

Insert witty comment here.

DennisS

Quote from: Ian C on June 27, 2018, 06:40:26 AM

Years ago, I purchased (at Best Buy) the very last version of Front Page Sports' Football Pro. I think it was 1999, as I had FPS 98 already. It didn't work out of the box. For anyone. I didn't know this, and brought what I thought was a defective disc back to the store, and swapped it out. Second one didn't work. Now, this was a forty dollar game, twenty years ago. I brought it back, and they denied the return. NO RETURNS ON SOFTWARE. I spoke with a series of people, including the store manager, getting increasingly frustrated and angry.

First, and only time I cussed out an employee in a store. Loudly, and profanely. They called the cops on me, and I very nearly got arrested.

The manager could have taken back this game. He chose not to. I asked him how often this game came back, and he said "most of them." I then asked him why he was selling them, if he KNEW they didn't work. *shrugs* ... and that was when I started hating Best Buy.

steve58

Quote from: Tuna on June 26, 2018, 02:23:19 PM
Quote from: steve58 on June 26, 2018, 12:59:21 PM

I've had that happen a few times, with the photo, they've always given me credit.

My issue was resolved within 24 hours :)