New WH40K FPS goes to Necromunda

Started by Jarhead0331, March 17, 2021, 10:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Necromunda: Hired Gun

By Streum On Studio...the same guys who made Space Hulk: Deathwing, so chances are it will at least look beautiful.

https://realotakugamer.com/necromunda-hired-gun-has-been-leaked-on-the-microsoft-store
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

I really want to get into games like this as I like the subject matter. But with the ai being zombie like and spawning from nowhere, lack of unit variation it's hard.
A good way to get me in would be to hint at space marine or imperial guard recruit endgames. But I really doubt a game by these guys could be deep enough.
Probably better off sticking to star citizen unless this has rpg immersion coming out of it's venerable dreadnought parts.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

I'm not sure why those videos were set to private. Strange.

In any event, this game released a couple of days ago. I've only played the first mission so far, which was just so-so. This developer is master of creating WH40K environments. It is all very impressive. Previously, they successfully nailed the look and feel of an ancient drifting space hulk and now it appears they have pulled off the impossible with a massive Hive city...But the game play was pretty wonky and bland.  I know the gameplay options will open up in the coming missions, but the action in the first mission did not leave me hungry to rush back for more. I've watched a bunch of videos on youtube and other players seem to be enjoying it.  Overall, the reviews on steam seem to be mixed so far, which does not surprise me in the least.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on June 03, 2021, 03:33:13 PM
Do you own it?

Dude, you're really off your game today. Look at the post directly above yours.  :uglystupid2: :-"
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Wonky & bland, eh...that blows. Steam reviews have improved a bit to 'Mostly Positive,' however.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on June 03, 2021, 03:52:59 PM
Wonky & bland, eh...that blows. Steam reviews have improved a bit to 'Mostly Positive,' however.

Yeah...take my initial impression with a grain of salt. I need to play more. Too early to form a real solid impression...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I really hope it proves to be solid. Last good WH40K FPS I played was Space Marine and that was, what...10 years ago, almost? It's been too long.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on June 03, 2021, 06:09:11 PM
I really hope it proves to be solid. Last good WH40K FPS I played was Space Marine and that was, what...10 years ago, almost? It's been too long.

I liked Space Hulk Deathwing, which was from the same developer.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

^Sweet that's on sale for 7.49 right now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

spelk

You've got the tactical Necromunda: Underhive Wars which is a much more vertical shooty version of Mordheim and this one.. both very buggy on release (ps4 versions).

Naturally, I was all in for Necromunda: Hired Gun, but there is something a little off with the gunplay. It's going for a Doom style feel and Jarhead nails it with initial impressions of wonky and bland. Once you start to unlock some useful skills it gets a little better, but I'll be damned if it just starts to tickle me in the right way and then it goes and crashes on me. I don't know about performance/issues on the PC.. but last time I gave it a shot on PS4 it was still crashing for me. Could be just a ropey port? The maps do have a lot of exploration, if you like that multiple paths and some secret places to open up. But combat is a bit slidey and the enemy never feels like they're at the top of their game, almost like lets just throw a lot at you, popping in to make up for it.

Still its another Necromunda game, so things are moving in the right direction. I need to go back to Underhive Wars at some point and see if its more stable.

Destraex

That motion Blur in Deathwing, the flashes and the floaty swinging of your character made it hard on my eyes. Is Necromunda any better?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"