NASA spots forgotten B-29

Started by WallysWorld, June 06, 2014, 05:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Stranded on an ice sheet since 1947, a NASA mission recently spotted the B-29 Superfortress that made an emergency landing in Greenland near the beginning of the Cold War.

The image tagged May 1 by the Earth Observatory's Digital Mapping System, an instrument on NASA's P-3 Orion airplane that was conducting Operation IceBridge, shows the Kee Bird plane.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/06/see-the-cold-war-spy-plane-spotted-by-nasa-67-years-later/
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Staggerwing

The last time someone found a b-29 out on a glacier they spent umpteen months and who knows how much money trying to restore it to flight-worthy condition in-situ, flying all the needed supplies and even engines out there, only to have the whole thing catch fire during a warmup and burn down to molten aluminum and tears. There's a Nova or NatGeo special about it out there somewhere on DVD/Netflix.

EDIT: Never Mind  :-[. It's the same plane. I wasn't aware they lost it's location a second time.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

WallysWorld

Yes,  I remember watching that Nat Geo show long time ago. An electrical fire doomed the restart effort and I think one poor fellow was killed.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson