German war dead found on Seelow Heights

Started by BanzaiCat, May 02, 2015, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

This story was reported last October, 2014, so if it has been posted on GH already, my bad.

http://tinyurl.com/jwbgxhr

QuoteStill wearing their boots and helmets, the Germans who fell fighting Russians at the Gates of Berlin: 70 years on, troops sacrificed in Hitler's doomed last stand are unearthed

Still wearing their boots and helmets, and carrying their weapons, the bodies of German soldiers who died in the Battle of the Seelow Heights have finally been unearthed.

A team of archaeologists - the Association for the Recovery of the Fallen - have uncovered the skeletons of men who died defending Berlin from the soldiers of the Red Army in the final days of the Second World War.

The dig, in Klessin, Brandenburg, brought to the light weapons, helmets, boots and the bones of those fighting to protect the murderous Third Reich.

Warning: the following pictures are pretty powerful.

More at the link.

Staggerwing

Wow. I wonder why they were left there. Did the Soviets just bulldoze over the defenders' emplacements with the copses still inside?

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 02, 2015, 07:38:14 PM

More at the link.

The weapon looks like an StG44.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys