Dogfight Footage: F-14 Tomcat vs. Libyan MiG-23

Started by Atilla60, May 10, 2016, 01:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atilla60

I don't know what NATO's ROE is today, but watching this video made me think about how dangerous a game Putin is playing in the Baltic- and the Black sea.

Great clip by the way.

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Atilla60 on May 10, 2016, 01:00:45 PM
I don't know what NATO's ROE is today, but watching this video made me think about how dangerous a game Putin is playing in the Baltic- and the Black sea.

Great clip by the way.

Not really. I'm pretty sure he knows NATO/EU/US are neutered. I imagine he'd love the chance to lose a fighter to the West.
Alba gu' brath

Atilla60

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 10, 2016, 02:04:00 PM
Not really. I'm pretty sure he knows NATO/EU/US are neutered.
True, and a little bit unsettling too.

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 10, 2016, 02:04:00 PM
I imagine he'd love the chance to lose a fighter to the West.
Provided we assume that he wants a confrontation with NATO then yes.
But I don't think that's the case. If he did he would have acted more aggressively when Turkey downed one of his jets over "Syria" not so long ago.

Then again, when it comes to Putin, who knows? Clearly he needs to play the strong man for the sake of  domestic consumption. A downed MIG doesn't fit that narrative, so how far is he really willing to go?
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -