"The Rise and Fall of the Luftwaffe" or "The End of Herman"

Started by ArizonaTank, January 05, 2019, 05:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Found this formerly classified US Intel report on the interrogation of Herman Goering after WWII. 

The report comes in three PDFs and can be downloaded at the US Center for Military History here: 

http://cdm16040.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p4013coll8/id/834/rec/1

The guys doing it, must have been having fun, here is the cover photo:

Some interesting bits:

Preamble:

The interrogator's view of Goering:

Comic relief; or the firing of a V-2

Interesting comments on Hitler jumping into the how the Me-262 should be deployed: 

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

besilarius

Maybe ten years ago, or more, there was a very in dept biography of Goering.  Cannot recall the title or author.
In summary, it was pretty clear that Herman never really grew past having the outlook of a squadron commander.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

Promptly dl'd!

Also picked up the 1984 Art of War Symposium featuring a number of surviving Southeastern Front generals talking about Soviet Offensive Operations from the Don to the Dniepr (Dec 42 - Aug 43).

http://cdm16040.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p4013coll8/id/4111/rec/1
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 05, 2019, 06:11:14 PM
Promptly dl'd!

Also picked up the 1984 Art of War Symposium featuring a number of surviving Southeastern Front generals talking about Soviet Offensive Operations from the Don to the Dniepr (Dec 42 - Aug 43).

http://cdm16040.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p4013coll8/id/4111/rec/1

Wow! great find!  All sorts of good stuff in the cdm library.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Quote from: besilarius on January 05, 2019, 06:08:22 PM
Maybe ten years ago, or more, there was a very in dept biography of Goering.  Cannot recall the title or author.
In summary, it was pretty clear that Herman never really grew past having the outlook of a squadron commander.

I was in a Goodwill Store near Washington DC about eight years ago, the elderly volunteer cashier saw that I was buying a used book on the Luftwaffe; she told me that she had worked directly for Goering for a while, and "did not like working for him."  Just as the conversation was getting interesting, another customer came up, and I had to leave.  I went back a few weeks later to talk with her, and was told that she had to stop working due to her health. since then I have often wondered what she had to say.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd