Explosion Reported in USS Bonhomme Richard

Started by Pete Dero, July 12, 2020, 02:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

After seeing way too many stories of people doing stupid stuff, could it be a person who didn't want to ship out so they try to do a "little," sabotage which turns out to be much worse?

-I've seen some real dumb ass enlisted types while in the military, so I'd be not surprised if such a thing happened.

Con

So far if the report is true the US navy has suffered more losses by disgruntled workers than enemy action in the last 10 years.  This seems like the USS Miami story again

https://www.wearethemighty.com/popular/submarine-fire-uss-miami/

Tripoli

Quote from: Gusington on July 30, 2021, 09:43:55 AM
Just reading that it was only one person involved makes me stop for a second. The fire was so devastating that it basically rendered the ship a total loss. One person is capable of doing such damage?

Because it was a yard period, they had only an extremely small crew onboard.  Probably smaller than what they were supposed to have.  Only 160,   Additionally, I believe they had some issues with their firewatches and roving patrols,although I would have to check on that.  Basically, the fire rapidly became too large for such a small crew to contain.  Typically, a ship inport will have, as an absolute minimum, 1/6th of the crew onboard at all times, even in "cold iron" on Christmas Day.    25-33% onboard is typical.  FWIW, fires on ships are not unusual.  They just usually don't get out of control, as USN ships are well equipped, and the crew well trained to handle them.  In the case of the Bonhomme Richard, I think there were significant leadership/management/training/TTP lapses.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Tripoli

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 30, 2021, 10:50:34 AM
After seeing way too many stories of people doing stupid stuff, could it be a person who didn't want to ship out so they try to do a "little," sabotage which turns out to be much worse?

-I've seen some real dumb ass enlisted types while in the military, so I'd be not surprised if such a thing happened.

Don't get me wrong.  I am not saying the fire wasn't deliberately set by a sailor.  I could absolutely see that as happening.  However, I could see the USN and/or NCIS railroading some enlisted sailor.  After all, they have done it before.  My only point is to look at the evidence before throwing a sailor (or for that matter, the USN) under the bus.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

I don't have the same military experience as many on here (State Guard only) but even I would have got my ass handed to me if I had f'd up on the firewatches I have been on. I never met anyone who did not take firewatch seriously, even in this modern digital age of smoke detectors, fire alarms, etc.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

I thought I read that some of the firecontrol gear/sensors were offline due to the work that was ongoing.  May have been a different vessel though.

Gusington

^That...would explain a lot. I wouldn't think that would even be possible in 2021, though.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jejo68

Quote from: Gusington on July 30, 2021, 01:30:43 PM
^That...would explain a lot. I wouldn't think that would even be possible in 2021, though.

Well the US navy apparently isn't what it used to be according to this report

https://www.westernjournal.com/shocking-report-us-navy-unprepared-war-sailors-forced-undergo-diversity-training-instead-combat-training/

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jejo68 on July 31, 2021, 04:43:20 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 30, 2021, 01:30:43 PM

Well the US navy apparently isn't what it used to be according to this report

https://www.westernjournal.com/shocking-report-us-navy-unprepared-war-sailors-forced-undergo-diversity-training-instead-combat-training/

R&P was closed for a reason. Please respect the decision to avoid politically hot topics in the forums until such time as the R&P forum is re-opened.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)