FDR Hid Katyn Massacre

Started by LongBlade, September 11, 2012, 10:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Memos are finally surfacing indicating that FDR didn't want to provoke Stalin, and he ignored evidence that the Soviets had killed 20,000 Polish officers at Katyn.

QuoteThe testimony about the infamous massacre of Polish officers might have lessened the tragic fate that befell Poland under the Soviets, some scholars believe. Instead, it mysteriously vanished into the heart of American power. The long-held suspicion is that President Franklin Delano Roosevelt didn't want to anger Josef Stalin, an ally whom the Americans were counting on to defeat Germany and Japan during World War II.

Documents released Monday and seen in advance by The Associated Press lend weight to the belief that suppression within the highest levels of the U.S. government helped cover up Soviet guilt in the killing of some 22,000 Polish officers and other prisoners in the Katyn forest and other locations in 1940.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/09/10/memos-suggest-us-hid-evidence-soviet-massacre-during-wwii
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

I heard about this on the news today.  Very interesting.  I am looking forward to seeing what the Russians have to say about this.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Silent Disapproval Robot

Did you read the Robert Harris novel Enigma, or see the movie based on it?  The movie wasn't too good but the book was great.  It told the story of an analyst at Bletchley Park who helped decode Enigma messages during WWII.  She starts cracking German intercepts that show that the Germans had learned about the Soviet massacre of Poles in the Katyn forest.  Then it gets into conspiracy type stuff with government cover-ups to prevent the Germans using the info for propaganda against the Soviets. 

LongBlade

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 12, 2012, 04:46:18 PM
Did you read the Robert Harris novel Enigma, or see the movie based on it?  The movie wasn't too good but the book was great.  It told the story of an analyst at Bletchley Park who helped decode Enigma messages during WWII.  She starts cracking German intercepts that show that the Germans had learned about the Soviet massacre of Poles in the Katyn forest.  Then it gets into conspiracy type stuff with government cover-ups to prevent the Germans using the info for propaganda against the Soviets. 

I'm pretty sure I have read it but have forgotten about the discovery of the massacre.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on September 12, 2012, 05:18:55 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 12, 2012, 04:46:18 PM

I'm pretty sure I have read it but have forgotten about the discovery of the massacre.

I'll second the vote for the book. It was a great read.

Harris' other books include 'Fatherland' which follow a similar vein but is set in a post WW2 world where Germany fought the Allies to a stalemate and a 'cold war' sets in between the it and the US. The plot centers around an Arkady Renko- like police inspector who has to solve a series of murders that lead to a huge coverup.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

I also enjoyed his books set in classical Roman times.  The one about the water engineer in Pompei was great.  (because there need to be more books with water treatment guys who are awesome.)

Staggerwing

I have one that's unread somewhere. I wasn't aware that there are others. Too many books to read. I can only hope that there's a version of me reading one of each in spread across every Altverse iteration.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys