What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longdan

I did not know you were allowed to be in here without reading Catton.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

mirth

Uh oh. I'm a late comer to the ACW and haven't read Catton. :(
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Mr Lincoln's Army, Glory Road, A Stillness at Appomattox are the three books in the set, although I think you can also get them now as one complete volume. A must-read for anyone interested in the ACW, as are the 4 books (not by him) that constitute the 'Battles and Leaders of the Civil War' tetrology. ;)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: bob48 on June 16, 2013, 02:25:13 PM
Mr Lincoln's Army, Glory Road, A Stillness at Appomattox are the three books in the set, although I think you can also get them now as one complete volume. A must-read for anyone interested in the ACW, as are the 4 books (not by him) that constitute the 'Battles and Leaders of the Civil War' tetrology. ;)

I have not read these either.  Going to have to check them out.  Thank for the help lightening my wallet  ;).

Toonces

Agreed on Catton.  I have two of his series and they're very well done.

Interestingly, given the ACW theme floating around, I've restarted reading Gettysburg - Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill by Pfanz.  Talk about a meaty treatment of Gettysburg!  I got it for about $5 at a used book store a couple of years ago and just picked it up to start reading on a whim the other day.

http://www.amazon.com/Gettysburg--Culps-Hill-Cemetery-Harry-Pfanz/dp/0807849960/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371412811&sr=8-3&keywords=pfanz
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bob48

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on June 16, 2013, 02:49:29 PM
Quote from: bob48 on June 16, 2013, 02:25:13 PM

I have not read these either.  Going to have to check them out.  Thank for the help lightening my wallet  ;).

Money well spent, I do assure you.

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

Bawb I did not know you were a steampunk fan.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on June 16, 2013, 04:34:05 PM
Bawb I did not know you were a steampunk fan.
Oh hell yes. The best one (for me) is 'A Transatlantic Tunnel - Hoorah!' by Harry Harrison. I just adore the whole Steampunk gendre.

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Longdan

James McPherson's Battle Cry Of Freedom for a great one volume overall treatment.

Gusington

Yeah 6.00 Bawb. Even Mrs. Bawb would holster her frying pan there.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Mrs Bawb holsters her pan for no one.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Martok

Quote from: mirth on June 16, 2013, 01:42:51 PM
Uh oh. I'm a late comer to the ACW and haven't read Catton. :(
Same here. 

Indeed, while I've long had a(n at least) moderate interest in the ACW, I've never truly read up on it much.  Given that, is Catton a good place to start?  Or is there some other work/author I should read first? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Longdan

I really felt that James McPherson's work was the best overall one volume history.  Bruce Catton's trilogy is mostly in Virginia
but is rather iconic americana if you will.  He is a stylist.