What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on September 19, 2012, 05:36:15 PM
^O SNAP. I have that waiting on my WH40K shelf. But I have to read Titanicus before that. And Eisenhorn. And Vampire Wars in the regular WH universe :)

Vampire Wars is likely to be a letdown. Just when it starts to get interesting you get reminded that they are vampires, and they are bad guys. There's also some drier history woven in there to get the "facts" laid out - more pro-forma than interesting tale.

Read the Ulrika the Vampire series for a more enjoyable tale.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I remember you mentioning that when I picked the book up. But Vampire Wars looked more interesting in the description for me. And to be honest a fictional history of vampire wars...sounds awesome, even if dry.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on September 19, 2012, 07:50:17 PM
I remember you mentioning that when I picked the book up. But Vampire Wars looked more interesting in the description for me. And to be honest a fictional history of vampire wars...sounds awesome, even if dry.

It has its moments. I didn't hate it and I will stop reading a book if I lose interest.

Just be prepared - about the time you're cheering the vampire army storming the castle walls...you'll be reminded why that's a Bad IdeaTM
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

finally got round to ordering Eisenhorn, and Battle for the Abyss - my next Horus Heresy book

W8taminute

^When you start reading Battle for the Abyss let me know what you think.  I'm about half way through it now and it's good.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Bismarck

Lynn's Battle and MacPherson's excellent War on the Water
Jim Cobb

undercovergeek

Quote from: W8taminute on September 20, 2012, 08:19:08 AM
^When you start reading Battle for the Abyss let me know what you think.  I'm about half way through it now and it's good.

Just finished the first epic space battle with the abyss and the hastily built intercept fleet.... Excellent description of a space battle, couldn't put it down til the fight concluded!

Interesting, knowing as I do that the thousand sons and the world eaters turn what's going to happen with the small numbers of each chapter all allied to the ultramarines tiny group

W8taminute

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 01, 2012, 04:00:57 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on September 20, 2012, 08:19:08 AM

Just finished the first epic space battle with the abyss and the hastily built intercept fleet.... Excellent description of a space battle, couldn't put it down til the fight concluded!

Interesting, knowing as I do that the thousand sons and the world eaters turn what's going to happen with the small numbers of each chapter all allied to the ultramarines tiny group

Yeah I couldn't put the book down either during that first fight.  I really felt bad for how that turned out but Cestus is an honorable Ultramarine.  Wait until you get further along.  The description of the next battle that takes place after that space combat scene is really good too.  I'm about 150 pages away from finishing the book.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've been taking a break from spy stuff and reading through two Cthulhu mythos trilogies from Fantasy Flight Games.  Both trilogies bear the Arkham Horror moniker and both do reference some charaters and locations from the board game.  The first is called the Dark Waters trilogy.  The first book, Ghouls of the Miskatonic, was quite enjoyable.  I wasn't expecting much from a novel published by a game company and related to one of their products but I was pleasantly surprised.   It was rather well written and had an engaging story.

The 2nd book, Bones of the Yopasi, was just released so I grabbed it for the Kindle this week.  I've only finished the first chapter but again, I'm surprised at the quality of the writing so far.

The second trilogy, The Lord of Nightmares, was also decent, but I think I prefer the Dark Waters books.  Dark Waters seems a bit more low key wheras Lord of Nightmares has big name mythos elder gods and inter-dimensional gates and whatnot.  I guess I prefer my horror a little more subdued and grounded.  Just a matter of taste.  Again, only the first two books of the trilogy have been released so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Arkham-Horror-Yopasi-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B008ZPZ3MC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1349162102&sr=1-1&keywords=bones+of+the+yopasi

Arctic Blast

Blasted through the Deadlands Reloaded Marshall's Handbook. Good grief does that system sound like a lot of fun. Must...run...a...game...!

Next up will be The Rise of Rome by Anthony Everitt.

W8taminute

^Sounds like you're trying to get in the mood for some Alea Jacta Est there Arctic.  :)

Arctic Blast

Quote from: W8taminute on October 02, 2012, 02:09:42 PM
^Sounds like you're trying to get in the mood for some Alea Jacta Est there Arctic.  :)

I'll probably pick that up at some point. But no, this is more of the 'Arctic tries to gain a basic understanding of history' project.

Incidentally, once I'm finished this that will be 50 books so far this year.  :)

GDS_Starfury

I need some good space opera!
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

DoctorQuest

I picked up "Saucer" by Steven Coonts at a flea market. It had some mixed reviews but it looks right up my quirky alley.

Still working through the Foundation trilogy. Good stuff. I've heard the term "retro sci-fi". Foundation really fits that bill.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

republic

I'm finally reading Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein.  Its been on my 'todo' list for years.  I'm about 3/4 through it and I've been jotting down quotes left and right.  As a teacher, my favorite so far has to be "One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think"