Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/40620/a-10-warthog-pilots-are-using-the-digital-combat-simulator-video-game-to-train-in-vr

A-10 Warthog Pilots Are Using The Digital Combat Simulator Video Game To Train In VR

The publicly available extreme-fidelity air combat video game is so accurate that actual A-10 pilots are now using it to train.

The ability to carry out this kind of training with a high degree of realism on the ground is especially important for A-10 units. There is no two-seat trainer version of the Warthog, which means that pilots who are new to the type have no alternative but to actually fly it for the first time solo.
The larger, more traditional FMT provides important simulated flight experience before then, but these are also limited in number and can be expensive to operate and maintain. As such, the A-10 simulator lab, through DCS and VR, also offers very low-cost additional simulator capacity.

With all this in mind, DCS users can feel even more confident in the game's fidelity. If it is good enough for A-10 pilots to learn essential skills, it has to be pretty damn good.

Gusington

^Heh that is awesome.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

I thought that was the very essence of dcs.  In 2008 they won the contract for a home sim for air guard units to train at home.  Dcs made a classified version for the air guard and they were permitted to release a consumer version in 2010 to us sim heads and the rest is history.  Not sure I really needed any reassurance that dcs was legit in fidelity.  I love flexing the knowledge at air shows, I always get the"oh your one of those guys".  But believe me, the real deal service guys love that there's a sim community out there fan boi'ng their jobs, it's the ultimate gratification and respect.

Rekim

I've been studying the A10C II since it was released last fall and can tell you it is a beast to learn. This due in part to the large number of weapon platforms it can deploy. The A10C HOTAS commands also require some serious effort to understand and memorize. The operation of each HOTAS button/switch/hat changes depending on which sensor is selected. There are 6 different sensor modes. The context of a button/switch also changes depending on how long it is held (long or short). This packs the HOTAS with a stupendous amount of capability, but also takes a huge effort to learn and retain. I can see how DCS World would be a powerful learning tool for real warhog pilots for this reason alone. It takes a lot of hands on time to master the stick alone.

I use this matrix of the HOTAS commands for 6 of the most important switches on the flight stick and throttle. I keep this image (provided by spectator257 in the user files on DCS website) on my kneeboard so I can reference in flight with VR.

Jarhead0331

^Yup...and that right there is what always keeps me from taming this beast. I've found it harder than any other aircraft module out there. It puts me off every time.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Redwolf

Sale is on.

I have $244 of stuff, mostly DCS incl F-14, in the cart. Not sure about the commit.

ETA: as discussed above, the A-10 II module did more harm than fun to my DCS playing.

Redwolf

You can buy the Hind.

Will be released May 31.

Dammit Carl!

Gusington

Hind would be so choice. But I have little faith that I could ever learn a DCS sim. That ship has sailed 😢

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on May 27, 2021, 04:28:56 PM
You can buy the Hind.

Will be released May 31.

Did they formally announce the release date?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

You can buy the Hind.

Will be released May 31.

This is a placeholder date on steam. There is no indication the module will actually be released on that date. Would be great, but I'm doubtful.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 27, 2021, 07:58:27 PM
You can buy the Hind.

Will be released May 31.

Did they formally announce the release date?

Good point.  As far as I can see the only non-steam info is "late Q2 2021":
https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/266573-mi-24p-hind-pre-order-now-available/

Jarhead0331

^yeah. Based on today's status update, I'd say it's at least another "two weeks" out.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 28, 2021, 01:37:34 AM
You can buy the Hind.

Will be released May 31.

This is a placeholder date on steam. There is no indication the module will actually be released on that date. Would be great, but I'm doubtful.

Well, you are right. It is the above date and the new release date is June 16 :)

Jarhead0331

Release of the Hind is probably "two weeks" away at this point. Very close. Also, not Cyprus on the moving map in the cockpit. That update to the Syria map is probably also very close to release.

I've got to be really careful what I ask for as it seems like it is going to be extremely difficult to fly.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog