The 5 Most Bizarre Battles of WW2

Started by Atilla60, March 09, 2014, 12:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atilla60

I've read about the Aleutian campaign. The other 4 I didn't know about.
Bizarre stuff indeed.

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Martok

Thanks for sharing the video, Atilla!  I knew about the Aleutian campaign and the battle at Castle Itter, but the rest were new to me. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

skeptical.platypus

Boy, if leading a convoy to and out of the arctic with a pocket map, camouflaging your ships, and utilizing whatever defense you might have on hand isn't Distinguished, I don't know what is.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

SgtRock

Aleutian campaign, not many know the US was invaded in WWII!  I doubt many today could even find the Aleutian islands on a map. That's one thing War Games teach is us, how to read a map!

I didn't know Iceland was invaded, all I ever heard was the the US troops took over Iceland before we entered the war from the Brits.