Started by Jarhead0331, September 20, 2018, 01:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

^You can pay an extra $3 for them to guaranty the key. lol :2funny:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Never have had an issue with Kinguin....totally a person's choice, but everything has been fine....I have never bought the protection and I did have one situation where something happened and they corrected it immediately.  Between Kinguin, cdkeys, and Fanatical, hardly buy anything direct from steam....

Gusington

I admit I have bought from Kinguin a couple of times, before they offered their '3.00' protection. I've bought from cdkeys too, a few more times than Kinguin. Fanatical I buy from often and feel they are more legit than the other two. I always feel dirty with Kinguin and cdkeys.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on September 29, 2018, 06:03:19 PM
I admit I have bought from Kinguin a couple of times, before they offered their '3.00' protection. I've bought from cdkeys too, a few more times than Kinguin. Fanatical I buy from often and feel they are more legit than the other two. I always feel dirty with Kinguin and cdkeys.

Not me, I get over that pretty quickly:)

Steelgrave

Gus is a dirty boy. I respect that   8)

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

FlickJax

sorry Jar didnt get the 2080 machine in the end my finances didnt hold up so I bought an XBOX one X instead!!!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FlickJax on October 01, 2018, 09:46:44 AM
sorry Jar didnt get the 2080 machine in the end my finances didnt hold up so I bought an XBOX one X instead!!!

Awww, man! I was really excited to have a 2080 in the family.

But, happy you got something anyway!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ian C

Gamesdeal is a legit seller. When I was once on the EA games support line they confirmed it.

FarAway Sooner

That's a great review, Ian!

Software development over the last 10 years has really moved towards "Agile" approaches to software development.  Get the minimal amount of functionality out the door quickly, and then improve it as you go.

I'm not sure that this philosophy has served gamers or game developers that well.  Most games get most of their publicity in the first couple months, and if the sales are weak and the reviews are negative at that point in time, they're usually toast.

Developers like Paradox have a track record of beefing titles up, which can work for demanding yet patient players in a niche market.  Otherwise, games with sloppy design decisions up front might make it to market faster, but they do so as an inferior product.  I guess we'll see where this game evolves from here!

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2018, 07:12:03 AMA lot of people come here for trusted opinions. I like to think we give more reliable impressions than steam reviews on average. I'm sure Flick is aware there are external sources of review.
+1. When waffling, I always check here. Our forums are 10000% more trustworthy than any other source.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

The Stardock Forums reproduce a DMCA takedown notice submitted by Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford against Star Control: Origins, which results in the space strategy game no longer being sold on Steam or GOG.com

https://www.stardock.com/games/article/492834/paul-reiche-and-fred-ford-issue-dmca-take-down

Paul Reiche and Fred Ford issue DMCA take down

Published on Monday, December 31, 2018 By Frogboy In Star Control Journals

We have received news today that Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford, contractors on the classic DOS game, Star Control 2 for Accolade and widely credited as being the "creators" of Star Control II have issued a DMCA take down notices to Valve and GOG to take down Star Control: Origins.

As some of you may know, there is a legal dispute between Stardock and Reiche and Ford regarding the trademarks and copyrights pertaining to Star Control.  Stardock owns the copyright to Star Control 3 and the trademark to Star Control overall.  Reiche and Ford claim to own the copyright to Star Control 2 (though it's not clear what within it they own outside source code).

You can read the history here:
https://www.stardock.com/games/starcontrol/article/487690/qa-regarding-star-control-and-paul-and-fred

Unfortunately, rather than relying on the legal system to resolve this, they have chosen to bypass it by issuing vague DMCA take-down notices to Steam and GOG (who, btw, Reiche and Ford are suing using GoFundMe money).

Steam and GOG both have a policy of taking down content that receive DMCA notices regardless of the merits of the claims.

To my knowledge, never in the history of our industry has anyone attempted to use the DMCA system to take down a shipping game before. For example, when PubG sued Fortnite for copyright infringement, they didn't try to take Fortnite down with a DMCA notice.

For those not familiar with copyright law, you CANNOT copyright ideas, individual or short phrases, concepts, mechanics, game designs, etc.

Star Control: Origins does not contain any copyrighted work of Reiche or Ford. We spent 5 years working on it making it our own game. It very much plays like you would expect a Star Control game. But that has nothing to do with copyright.

We have assurances from GOG and Valve that already purchased games will continue to work.

Unfortunately, without the income from Star Control: Origins, Stardock will have to lay off some of the men and women who are assigned to the game.

We will do our very best to continue to support the game and hopefully Star Control: Origins will return as soon as possible.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

CptHowdy

looks like its still being sold everywhere else. i purchased when it was released but havent even put in a couple of hours yet.