Main Menu

Surprise!

Started by GDS_Starfury, February 02, 2023, 06:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigwolf

Quote from: W8taminute on February 11, 2023, 09:54:15 PMMeanwhile Xi is mocking Biden for using fighter jets to shoot down balloons. 

Fighter jets are the aerial platform we have for weapons delivery.  What would Xi suggest would be a better alternative?  Passenger jets with slingshots?  Launch an anti-balloon balloon fleet?  Sharks, with freaking laser beams on their heads?  Just an odd thing to focus on.   :twirl:

FarAway Sooner

The FBI's formal mandate includes counterintelligence.  Theoretically, they have "first jurisdiction" over that sort of thing.  Before the intelligence tech got so... technical, there was a very clearly drawn line there.

The CIA spies on the world outside our border, but not inside our border.  From a checks-and-balances standpoint, that makes sense.  That's the domain of the FBI.  It's not something they ever talk about.  Even inside the FBI, nobody in the rank and file really knew anything about that group or what they're doing back when I was a peon walking in the halls of power several decades ago.

In reality, as was alluded to above, the technical competencies required for espionage and counter-espionage create a lot of overlap.  So everybody gets involved.  But if it was a spy satellite floating over the US, that's very correctly FBI jurisdiction.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Sigwolf on February 12, 2023, 11:13:24 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on February 11, 2023, 09:54:15 PMMeanwhile Xi is mocking Biden for using fighter jets to shoot down balloons. 

Fighter jets are the aerial platform we have for weapons delivery.  What would Xi suggest would be a better alternative?  Passenger jets with slingshots?  Launch an anti-balloon balloon fleet?  Sharks, with freaking laser beams on their heads?  Just an odd thing to focus on.   :twirl:

Good God!  Does this mean we have... a balloon gap?

Staggerwing

Maybe Xi thinks the USAF has Panzer Dragoons.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

W8taminute

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 12, 2023, 12:43:41 PM
Quote from: Sigwolf on February 12, 2023, 11:13:24 AM

Good God!  Does this mean we have... a balloon gap?

Just don't let him in the war room.  He'll see the big board!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

do you see a balloon?

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Sir Slash

Better NOT call her that. She probably won't like it. But hell...at closing time???
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

seems another balloon got shot down over Lake Huron in the last hour.

ArizonaTank

This is where our rating goes from "harmless" to "mostly harmless." 

All apologies to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Crossroads

Quote from: MikeGER on February 05, 2023, 06:51:54 PMdont worry we are still some 90something  ballons short of a war ;-)

Four down, 95 to go  :justice:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

steve58

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 12, 2023, 03:13:10 PMdo you see a balloon?

Hhhhmmm, looks like a Kardashian to me.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 12, 2023, 03:03:13 PMa long thread with links about balloons, drones and ufos.

"We now live in an age where long-range precision-guided weaponry is democratized. Barrier to entry is very low. We are still not prepared to deal with it. So, call all this a big trial balloon." -- heh, well played!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

The full (most recent) article from Tyler Rogoway at the War Zone:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/40054/adversary-drones-are-spying-on-the-u-s-and-the-pentagon-acts-like-theyre-ufos

Correction: from April 16, 2021, nearly two years ago! Still highly relevant.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Ad/mods: shouldn't the overall title of this thread be updated for clarity? e.g. "Balloons, UAPs, and whatnot recently".

Meanwhile, the actual most recent article from Tyler Rogoway (and Howard Altman) at The War Zone, focusing on the "octagonal" craft shot down over Lake Huron.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/fighters-shoot-down-object-over-lake-huron

Edited to add: the comments are amusing in that they're more about bad calls last night at the Super Bowl than the incursions and shootdowns! {g}