July 20, 1864, 3pm Rutherford's Farm

Started by MengJiao, January 04, 2022, 08:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

So, being in a Civil War-ish frame of mind, I got GMT's Death Valley -- which is a lot of battles in the Shenandoah in Great Battles of the American Civil War style.  The battle of Rutherford's farm was a Confederate attempt to ambush the advanced guard of Crook's Army of West Virginia as it approached Winchester.  Around 3500 Confederates under Ramseur attacked about 2500 Federals under Averill.  Seemingly this would have given the Confederates some advantages, but the Federal Cavalry was armed with various Spencer rifles and backed up by plendy of artillery.  Historically things did not go well for Ramseur, but we will see:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 04, 2022, 08:46:03 PM

So, being in a Civil War-ish frame of mind, I got GMT's Death Valley -- which is a lot of battles in the Shenandoah in Great Battles of the American Civil War style.  The battle of Rutherford's farm was a Confederate attempt to ambush the advanced guard of Crook's Army of West Virginia as it approached Winchester.  Around 3500 Confederates under Ramseur attacked about 2500 Federals under Averill.  Seemingly this would have given the Confederates some advantages, but the Federal Cavalry was armed with various Spencer rifles and backed up by plendy of artillery.  Historically things did not go well for Ramseur, but we will see:

So...Approaching 4pm, two of Ramseur's cavalry brigades make a pretty good flanking attack, and the correct Johnson brigade moves up on the other side.  Averill's force has lots of odd command advantages in this scenario (automatic orders changes and lots of "efficiency" in terms of available activiations).  Things could still go either way, maybe:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 05, 2022, 07:39:19 AM

So...Approaching 4pm, two of Ramseur's cavalry brigades make a pretty good flanking attack, and the correct Johnson brigade moves up on the other side.  Averill's force has lots of odd command advantages in this scenario (automatic orders changes and lots of "efficiency" in terms of available activiations).  Things could still go either way, maybe:

4pm...I guess Ramseur attacked a bit too much.  Both flanks are caving in.  The center did well, but even there, I'm pulling back the artillery to cover a victory level location marked "Day.":

W8taminute

Really cool AAR.  I've got the Great Battles of the American Revolutionary War and liked that system and game a lot.  It seems like the same concepts are used in this series as well. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on January 05, 2022, 03:49:31 PM
Really cool AAR.  I've got the Great Battles of the American Revolutionary War and liked that system and game a lot.  It seems like the same concepts are used in this series as well.

Thanks!  (PS -- Ramseur pulled a good defense together so I called it a draw)