White Plains, Oct 29, 1776

Started by MengJiao, April 18, 2023, 07:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

After being chased all over Long Island and Manhattan, Washington pulls a rather large force together and digs in on the Bronx River.  Sir William Howe leads a slightly smaller force after him.  He takes Chatterton Hill and then it starts raining and things begin to look somewhat ominous as the Americans go on assembling behind their entrenchments:

You cannot view this attachment.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 18, 2023, 07:13:00 PMAfter being chased all over Long Island and Manhattan, Washington pulls a rather large force together and digs in on the Bronx River.  Sir William Howe leads a slightly smaller force after him.  He takes Chatterton Hill and then it starts raining and things begin to look somewhat ominous as the Americans go on assembling behind their entrenchments:

9am and the Americans are preparing to sortie.  Historically, nothing happened on the 29th, but here things are different.  Each side has some advantages -- some British units are prepared to attack with cold steel so the rain is no problem.  Copnversely, a lot of the American militia are on hand and the Americans have an edge in muskets available (if not in cold steel, heavy guns and dragoons).  So we will see what happens:

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.[attach id=17607 width=1 height=1]

W8taminute

Nice game!  I love this series. 

I wonder if there are any historical sights to visit in White Plains.  I pass by the area at least twice a year with the family but have never stopped to check the area out.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on April 19, 2023, 03:07:21 PMNice game!  I love this series. 

I wonder if there are any historical sights to visit in White Plains.  I pass by the area at least twice a year with the family but have never stopped to check the area out.

I used to work there.  I never saw anything particularly 18th century around the place. 

Gusington

I have worked in White Plains since 2006 and still do. There are a handful of historic sites still to see!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 19, 2023, 08:24:57 AM9am and the Americans are preparing to sortie.  Historically, nothing happened on the 29th, but here things are different.  Each side has some advantages -- some British units are prepared to attack with cold steel so the rain is no problem.  Conversely, a lot of the American militia are on hand and the Americans have an edge in muskets available (if not in cold steel, heavy guns and dragoons).  So we will see what happens:

Well, taking Chatterton Hill on the 28th and then attacking in the rain on the 29th did not work out well at all for the King's army.  Cold steel tended to get isolated amid the many failed attacks.  It was quite a bloodbath.  Putnam and Sullivan were killed, but the Americans captured some guns and overwhelmed the Cold Stream guards so the King's troops were heading downhill mentally pretty fast.
But never mind, I have another plan.
Here's the thing -- Chatterton Hill really is a sideshow.  Marshes constrict exploiting a breakthrough there.  Washington's entrenchments are in the right place blocking all the best exploitation routes.
So, the new plan for the King's army is to ignore Chatterton Hill, punch through the main defense line on day one and capture a big chunk of the American forces by cutting off their retreat.
See the next after and during ARR for details or disasters or both.

W8taminute

Can't wait to see what happens!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk