Main Menu

I Miss MAD

Started by Gusington, February 16, 2012, 11:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

For large strikes I suppose nukes would be the weapon of choice, but conventional ordinance may be the practical way to go if you are attempting to eradicate without irradiating. Fuel air explosives and MOAB's seem to have some potential in this area. The problem with MOAB's may be delivery - based on how the scenario goes down.

LongBlade

Well, I don't do this for a living so I really don't know jack.

All I can say is that I'm afraid that if things continue on their present course the bad guys will eventually trigger a self-inflicted extinction event.

I don't see them changing course. I hope I'm wrong.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

I dunno.  The thought neutrons is appealing somehow.  It would really get into the crevices, you know?
Any time is a good time for pie.

Centurion40

Quote from: LongBlade on February 16, 2012, 01:41:52 PM
Well, I don't do this for a living so I really don't know jack.

All I can say is that I'm afraid that if things continue on their present course the bad guys will eventually trigger a self-inflicted extinction event.

I don't see them changing course. I hope I'm wrong.

Well let's face it, if sane common-sense was widespread over there, a lot of the horrors would never have happened.

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on February 16, 2012, 01:37:34 PM

I don't know if we do or not, but in the Way Back When machine in my brain I seem to remember a discussion in the news about them. If we made them 20 years ago, we should be able to make them again.

I thought the N-bomb got nixed during the early 80's. I'll try a quick google chop:

QuoteThree types of ERW were built by the United States.[8] The W66 warhead, for the anti-ICBM Sprint missile system, was deployed in 1975 and retired the next year, along with the missile system. The W70 Mod 3 warhead was developed for the short-range, tactical Lance missile, and the W79 Mod 0 was developed for artillery shells. The latter two types were retired by President George H. W. Bush in 1992, following the end of the Cold War.[9][10] The last W70 Mod 3 warhead was dismantled in 1996,[11] and the last W79 Mod 0 was dismantled by 2003, when the dismantling of all W79 variants was completed.[12]

Besides the United States and Soviet Union, France and China are understood to have tested neutron or enhanced radiation bombs in the past, with France apparently leading the field with an early test of the technology in 1967[13] and an "actual" neutron bomb in 1980.[14] The 1999 Cox Report indicates that China is able to produce neutron bombs,[15] although no country is currently known to deploy them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_bomb#Use_of_neutron_bomb

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Windigo

Quote from: Centurion40 on February 16, 2012, 01:00:55 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 16, 2012, 12:45:52 PM
I don't know...does it really matter, if you're being nuked, how it's delivered? We're all toast in the end.

Maybe.  The good folks of Hiroshima and Nagasaki seem to be faring well these days, despite fears that a nuke site would be uninhabitable for centuries.  And then when you think of the thousands of nuke test firings that have occurred in the 20th century... well, we're still around.  ???

You know, I'm at the age where I'd be more likely to sit on my roof and watch the show, rather than hide in the basement and hope that I'll survive it all.  Weird.

You'd get a good show with traks on targets across the Bay of Fundy, until some smaller secondary strike takes out your harbour. Those that argue it wouldn't get a hit don't know geography
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 16, 2012, 01:44:11 PM

I don't know if we do or not, but in the Way Back When machine in my brain I seem to remember a discussion in the news about them. If we made them 20 years ago, we should be able to make them again.

I thought the N-bomb got nixed during the early 80's. I'll try a quick google chop.

I think it did, but I'm thinking it's time to bring sexy back.

Staggerwing

Yep. I edited my post above. ^^^

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Windigo

Quote from: Centurion40 on February 16, 2012, 01:22:08 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on February 16, 2012, 01:15:32 PM
What the radicals are eventually going to get isn't MAD but rather SIAD - Self-Inflicted Assured Destruction.

They will regrettably eventually cross a line that no one will tolerate.

Then they will come to know first-hand the meaning of nuclear winter. Preferably we'll just use neutron bombs so as not to have the fallout.

The survivors can then pick up the rocks and start flinging them at each other, as they have done since time began.

We've You've got a handful of neutrons??!!

Why wait?  The Mid East could use an enema.  ;)

... slap together a neutron bomb from spare H-bomb parts lying around

Centurion40

Quote from: Windigo on February 16, 2012, 01:47:38 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on February 16, 2012, 01:00:55 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 16, 2012, 12:45:52 PM
I don't know...does it really matter, if you're being nuked, how it's delivered? We're all toast in the end.

Maybe.  The good folks of Hiroshima and Nagasaki seem to be faring well these days, despite fears that a nuke site would be uninhabitable for centuries.  And then when you think of the thousands of nuke test firings that have occurred in the 20th century... well, we're still around.  ???

You know, I'm at the age where I'd be more likely to sit on my roof and watch the show, rather than hide in the basement and hope that I'll survive it all.  Weird.

You'd get a good show with traks on targets across the Bay of Fundy, until some smaller secondary strike takes out your harbour. Those that argue it wouldn't get a hit don't know geography

'parently the Russkies have Halifax well targeted.  ICBMs and SLBMs.  If I'm at work and it hits, vaporization will be instant.  If I'm a home, unless they hit Bedford Basin, it will be a lingering death.  I'd prefer vapour.

Staggerwing

Now-now! Didn't Christopher Lloyd make a bomb out of old pinball machine parts?

Windigo

@40Cent,

not sure just how many SLBM's the Ruskies have left....

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on February 16, 2012, 01:54:38 PM
@40Cent,

not sure just how many SLBM's the Ruskies have left....

Yeah, I posted an article where they tried to burn one of their subs to the waterline just last year...

Centurion40

Ultimately, I'm not even worried about Ruskie ICBMs, to be honest.

Gusington

The way this thread is going I am going to start duck and cover drills at home. Everything old is new again! Why can't we just go even further back and decide things with dreadnoughts? So much more civilized.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd