Germany urged to end sex offender castration

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, February 22, 2012, 04:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Research for the report revealed that of the 104 people operated on between 1970 and 1980, only 3% reoffended, compared with nearly half of those who refused castration or were denied it by the authorities."
[/size]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17124604

It looks like a very effective treatment that should be adopted by other countries. The "[/size]European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT)" should STFU on this matter lest they become worthless to society.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Jarhead0331

To play devil's advocate, should thieves have their hands cut off?  I bet the majority of thieves, once they had no hands, would not be recidivists. Should adulterous women be stoned to death? If the lousy whores are dead, I bet they won't cheat on their husbands anymore.

If you disagree with the above, why?  Specifically, why is it any different from castration of sex offenders?  Obviously the first example is more germane to the question whereas the second is said more "tongue in cheek."
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

son_of_montfort

It's almost like you are saying that other EU countries should adopt this... but they don't... have the balls...

::)

I think I am with Jarhead here. But those numbers are highly skewed anyway. If castrated, you aren't going to be able to reoffend (usually) unless you somehow skip your chemical castration treatment or find a way around it.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Staggerwing

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 22, 2012, 06:16:21 PM
It's almost like you are saying that other EU countries should adopt this... but they don't... have the balls...

I think I am with Jarhead here. But those numbers are highly skewed anyway. If castrated, you aren't going to be able to reoffend (usually) unless you somehow skip your chemical castration treatment or find a way around it.

This is about Surgical castration, not chemical castration. It also known as a bi-lateral orchiectomy
and is quite unreversable.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 22, 2012, 06:26:53 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 22, 2012, 06:16:21 PM

This is about Surgical castration, not chemical castration. It also known as a bi-lateral orchiectomy
and is quite unreversable.

Well then... how do they physically have that 3% recidivism rate? That makes the statistic even better. It is like the old joke about the low rate of repeat offenders in Cuba. We shoot all the criminals, so we have a perfect record!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Staggerwing

Not all sex crimes require a penis. Unwanted Fondling of children or assault with an inanimate object, for example.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MIGMaster

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 22, 2012, 09:06:54 PM
Not all sex crimes require a penis. Unwanted Fondling of children or assault with an inanimate object, for example.

Exactly - that's why all sex offenders should be burned at the stake and fuckin' popcorn served. I work in a field where you get to see the victims and the after effects. Castration is too good ..... >:(

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 22, 2012, 04:14:59 PM
To play devil's advocate, should thieves have their hands cut off?  I bet the majority of thieves, once they had no hands, would not be recidivists. Should adulterous women be stoned to death? If the lousy whores are dead, I bet they won't cheat on their husbands anymore.

If you disagree with the above, why?  Specifically, why is it any different from castration of sex offenders?  Obviously the first example is more germane to the question whereas the second is said more "tongue in cheek."

The hand is required for all kinds of other things related to functioning as a human so that is too much. Japan used to cut off the pinkie. In a feudal society it prevented them from holding a sword properly. In this case they agreed to the process as treatment in exchange for sentence reduction. If the thieves agree than that is good too. Call it a mark of Cain on them.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Epee1

I want child sex offenders while still alive mind you, no dying on me please while I perform my magic, staked out, disemboweled, cavity filled with corn, and wrap that up with hogs let loose on them so he/she can enjoy the spectacle of being eaten alive. 

No, no, don't thank me, I'll do it for free on any and all child sex offenders.

Centurion40

Quote from: Epee1 on February 22, 2012, 11:43:44 PM
I want child sex offenders while still alive mind you, no dying on me please while I perform my magic, staked out, disemboweled, cavity filled with corn, and wrap that up with hogs let loose on them so he/she can enjoy the spectacle of being eaten alive. 

No, no, don't thank me, I'll do it for free on any and all child sex offenders.

I wonder if THAT would provide a disincentive to others?
Any time is a good time for pie.