Main Menu

Syrian Watch

Started by Centurion40, January 31, 2012, 01:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

Totally OT, but when I saw this thread title, at first I saw Current Events: Skyrim Watch.

That civil war just HAS to end!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

MIGMaster

They need to get their hate out thru hockey like us Canucks !

LongBlade

Update: the US is closing the embassy in Syria and withdrawing all diplomats.

Here's a detailed report from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16902819
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Hmm.  Wonder if we might just have a ballgame here... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MIGMaster

I'm kinda wondering if France will lead teh charge like last time in Libya - they seem to be getting into this "we're a world power" thing ?

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 06, 2012, 11:47:48 AM
I'm kinda wondering if France will lead teh charge like last time in Libya - they seem to be getting into this "we're a world power" thing ?

Nature ahbores a vacuum, and the US is doing its best to imitate one right now.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: LongBlade on February 06, 2012, 12:09:45 PM

are you saying we suck?  :o
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 06, 2012, 01:36:25 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on February 06, 2012, 12:09:45 PM

are you saying we suck?  :o

Oreck Obama?

MIGMaster

Hopefully the Russians will be able to wade thru all the dead kids in the streets to get an arrangement in place:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/07/slaughter-in-syria-rocket-attacks-blood-in-the-streets-and-a-relentless-fight-for-freedom/?hpt=hp_t1

Hopefully Assad will get the same kind of justice Muammar did !

LongBlade

The water just got a little warmer.

QuoteAlthough the U.S. focus remains on exerting diplomatic and economic pressure on Syria, the Pentagon and the U.S. Central Command have begun a preliminary internal review of U.S. military capabilities, CNN has learned.

The options are being prepared in the event President Barack Obama were to call for them. Two senior administration officials who spoke about the review to CNN emphasized that U.S. policy for now remains the use of non-military options.

The focus on diplomatic options was underscored by the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations in an interview with CNN on Tuesday.

"Before we start talking about military options, we very much want to ensure that we have exhausted all the political, economic and diplomatic means at our disposal," Ambassador Susan Rice said on CNN's "Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

Source: http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/07/us-military-beginning-review-of-syria-options/

Martok

Would we go in unilaterally, do you think?  Or would we wait for someone else (Turkey?) to make the first move? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Mr. Bigglesworth

Obama seems to think enough has been spent on other people's problems. Spend the money on the US.

Actually there is no money so scratch that. Let the Arabs sort it out.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

MIGMaster

I agree with that sentiment - the arabs will always be the first to point fingers if the West becomes involved - however, it does provide our pilots with valuable combat experience  ;)

LongBlade

Quote from: Martok on February 09, 2012, 01:49:25 AM
Would we go in unilaterally, do you think?  Or would we wait for someone else (Turkey?) to make the first move?

Nah. Syria shares a border with Iraq and Israel. We just pull a few trucks up to the border and yell, "Free guns and ammo!"

The only problem is Jarhead will attempt a solo swim across the Atlantic to get in on some of that, but as long as we have some notice we should be able to distract him.