World Series - Cubs vs Indians

Started by OJsDad, October 22, 2016, 11:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

seen on FaceBook -

"The Cubs haven't won a World Series since Leningrad was called St Petersburg...  Oh, wait."

Marty Ward

In our lifetime we have seen the Red Sox break their 86 year World Series drought, the White Sox break their 88 year drought and the Cubs break their 108 year drought. There was a whole generation that never saw any of them win it all and here we have seen all 3.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Marty Ward on November 03, 2016, 01:20:05 PM
In our lifetime we have seen the Red Sox break their 86 year World Series drought, the White Sox break their 88 year drought and the Cubs break their 108 year drought. There was a whole generation that never saw any of them win it all and here we have seen all 3.

Are the Browns next?   ???

Heck, even the Saints won a Super Bowl!

OJsDad

There are 2 baseball teams that have never made it to the World Series.  There are 6 more that have made but never won.  So there are a few teams in worse shape than those three were. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Marty Ward

Quote from: OJsDad on November 03, 2016, 01:44:58 PM
There are 2 baseball teams that have never made it to the World Series.  There are 6 more that have made but never won.  So there are a few teams in worse shape than those three were.

None of them have even been in existence for 86 years so they have time :)
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Martok

I got to watch the last inning while I was at work last night.  The rest of my shift turned out to be the night from hell, but it was a nice way to start it off, at least.  :) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Quote from: Marty Ward on November 03, 2016, 02:17:41 PM

Except that the Marlins won it twice in their first 20 years and the Diamondbacks won one in their first 3 years. 

Marty Ward

Quote from: OJsDad on November 03, 2016, 04:50:50 PM
Quote from: Marty Ward on November 03, 2016, 02:17:41 PM

Except that the Marlins won it twice in their first 20 years and the Diamondbacks won one in their first 3 years.

True and the Mets won it in their 7th year. Those that haven't ever won have plenty of time to win before they get into 'legendary loser' territory! :)

Arctic Blast

Congrats to the Cubs!

Sadly, I feel like baseball has now peaked. I don't know that I'm ever going to witness a more wildly entertaining playoff game than that Game 7 was.

besilarius

The Great White Fleet sails to Chicago.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bayonetbrant

Nice wrapup - and I love this bit
QuoteAnd it was suddenly possible to type a sentence that no living human has ever typed:
The Chicago Cubs are the champions of baseball.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/playoffs16_greatestgame7/how-did-cubs-curse-end-greatest-game-ever

Bison

So can they go back to being the lovable losers now?  I'm already over the cubs hype.