Main Menu

Varjo Aero

Started by Jarhead0331, July 08, 2022, 11:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Well, With a Vive, Rift-S, Quest 2, Pimax 8KX and not one, but two HP Reverb G2s, i wasn't going to get it for myself, but my wife, God bless her heart, went and bought me a Varjo Aero for my birthday.

https://varjo.com/products/aero/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=9711124988&utm_content=125488639661&utm_term=varjo%20aero&campaign_id=9711124988&utm_term=varjo%20aero&utm_campaign=Search+%7C%C2%A0Prospecting+%7C+NorAm+%7C+Brand&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=8612149882&hsa_cam=9711124988&hsa_grp=125488639661&hsa_ad=554201985309&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=kwd-1641358808309&hsa_kw=varjo%20aero&hsa_mt=b&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAjwq5-WBhB7EiwAl-HEklBp01ViOzGhCpKKwOey25xQ6BDFjdpjwcYRyrfMQnKnxyNkf2PH9xoCfjAQAvD_BwE

It isn't exactly plug and play with DCS, so i am still tweaking settings, but what I have seen so far in terms of clarity and performance has blown me away. Every gauge, every dial, every letter and every number is brought to life with such sharpness and the sweet spot with this clarity is practically the entire field of the view in the headset. It is a notable improvement over the Reverb G2, which had been considered to offer the greatest sharpness in terms of image clarity. Whether the improvement is worth $2000 for the average user is hard to say...but for VR and flight sim addicts, I'd say without question.

More impressions to follow.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Hmm, another one on my list for when I upgrade from the Index. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

Any impressions on this one yet?

How's it look with IL2 compared to your other devices. 

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this one.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 20, 2022, 07:38:31 PM
Any impressions on this one yet?

How's it look with IL2 compared to your other devices. 

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this one.

I play almost exclusively in DCS. I've tried getting back into IL-2, but I always have difficulty setting up my peripherals so I end up not spending a lot of time in game. That being said, I have booted IL-2 up in the Aero and it looked great. As for DCS, it definitely gives me the most clear and vibrant image of any of my other headsets, by a notable difference. The sweet spot is nearly the entire screen and only the very outer limits of the image start to blur. i think this makes up for the relatively limited FOV when compared to something like the Pimax.  In terms of clarity, the G2 is great. This is better. I also have very good performance with Aero out of the box. I had to tweak a few things to get it running properly in DCS, but once that happened, there was very little need to tweak internal settings, details, resolution, etc. I get solid FPS in the 50 through 80s depending on what is going on and always very smooth.

I'm happy with it and although I still have a rig set up with my G2 that I will use, my go-to is now the Aero. Is it worth the price tag? it is if money is not really a factor and you are a huge VR and flight sim nutbag like me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Sounds good. 

I think I may go with it as a companion to my Index. 

I'd considered the Pimax but, I really don't know if the extra FOV is worth it when my only complaint with the Index is the lower clarity for instrumentation. 

After the divorce and with my new, new girlfriend that makes 6 figures as a defense contractor so dates are cheap, I'm not worried about the tag. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 20, 2022, 08:28:34 PM
Sounds good. 

I think I may go with it as a companion to my Index. 

I'd considered the Pimax but, I really don't know if the extra FOV is worth it when my only complaint with the Index is the lower clarity for instrumentation. 

After the divorce and with my new, new girlfriend that makes 6 figures as a defense contractor so dates are cheap, I'm not worried about the tag.

Pimax has two new headsets in development, both of which appear to be much better than the 8kx and one of which is supposed to be even clearer than the aero. I'll believe that when I see it. They have a very generous trade-in program, so I'll be turning in my 8kx to get the 12kx.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

The fact the Aero has VR Optician lenses still puts that over the top. 

I know people say you can fit glasses in the Pimax with no lens touch issue, but I still don't feel comfortable with it, especially with the potential of fogging.

Jarhead0331

The aero has a lot of cool features like eye-tracking, automatic IPD adjustment and active cooling...yeah, it's got a little fan that blows cool air onto your head and face. LoL. The headband is pretty cool too and can be adjusted in a lot of ergonomic ways. If there is one major weakness, it's the audio. It comes with pretty shitty earbuds. I don't even use them.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Does it give a blow job?  Cause if it does I've got a few....interactive add ons.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 20, 2022, 09:57:29 PM
Does it give a blow job?  Cause if it does I've got a few....interactive add ons.

If it did that, I wouldn't be wasting time posting here.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Can't have everything I guess.