[Dominions 5] Grogs4way (in progress)

Started by W8taminute, February 27, 2020, 11:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Hi all,

Here is the discussion thread for discussion on the latest Dom5 PBEM being played by:

solops
Ajidica
TheMeInTeam
W8taminute

We're playing in the Middle Ages with 6 Thrones, two of which are level 2 while the rest are level 1.  I'll let each player involved announce what nation they're playing but as for me I'm playing as T'ien Chi.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

airboy

Ah, the flying masters of rainbow magic!  One of my favorites.

W8taminute

Quote from: airboy on February 27, 2020, 12:39:56 PM
Ah, the flying masters of rainbow magic!  One of my favorites.

Yes good old rainbow magic.  I think I've figured out a good strategy with them too that I want to try out in this game.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Ajidica

W8taminute

Ajidica

Thanks!

Do we need to do anything to start the game (ie: get turns sent out)? Llamaserver says everyone's pretender has been submitted.

W8taminute

Quote from: Ajidica on February 29, 2020, 09:06:39 AM
Thanks!

Do we need to do anything to start the game (ie: get turns sent out)? Llamaserver says everyone's pretender has been submitted.

Yes, I have to activate it manually because I forgot to check the auto start game option.  We should be getting our first turn now. 

TheMeInTeam

I played 1st turn earlier today.  We're in different time zones it seems (I'm US East) so it'll be hard to get blazing fast turnarounds, but I can usually hit turns after work so shouldn't be too bad.

I am playing MA Xibalba, which is supposed to be a bad nation.  Though I don't think it belongs with stuff like EA Kailasa or MA Eriu personally.

The roster for this game is interesting.  There are no true water nations, but three nations with significant amphibious capability.

Ajidica

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on February 29, 2020, 08:57:45 PM
Though I don't think it belongs with stuff like EA Kailasa or MA Eriu personally.
I think EA Kailasa gets a worse rap than it deserves. You have size three two-attack recruit anywhere sacreds with few units requiring substantial resources. The Yavanas and Yakashas may be cap only, but they aren't slow to recruit and are guaranteed to be level three mages in either earth or water.

Monkey troops aren't good, but at least Kailasa has good access to a lot of the big buff spells in earth and nature. Bandar Warriors with strength of giants are surprisingly heavy hitters.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Ajidica on March 01, 2020, 12:25:46 AM
Quote from: TheMeInTeam on February 29, 2020, 08:57:45 PM
Though I don't think it belongs with stuff like EA Kailasa or MA Eriu personally.
I think EA Kailasa gets a worse rap than it deserves. You have size three two-attack recruit anywhere sacreds with few units requiring substantial resources. The Yavanas and Yakashas may be cap only, but they aren't slow to recruit and are guaranteed to be level three mages in either earth or water.

Monkey troops aren't good, but at least Kailasa has good access to a lot of the big buff spells in earth and nature. Bandar Warriors with strength of giants are surprisingly heavy hitters.

Problem with your recruit-anywhere sacreds is that they have no prot.  So if you want to expand at all, you need to either run an awake expander or do more than just trash sloth to get a high end incarnate bless.  You can do that of course, and then you have some recruitable thugs that can take blesses and a decent nature/astral communion.  But your troops are still bad, and unless you took a resistance bless (which isn't viable for expansion) the recruit anywhere sacreds are nothing special in PvP wars after good magic comes online.

It's playable, all nations are, but it's definitely low tier.  Eriu's problem is mostly different.  They still have problems expanding w/ just troops, but they *also* are one dimensional in magic, so I'd grade them even lower than Kailasa who can at least break into other paths more easily and has multiple useful late game paths from the start.

solops

I want you guys to know (and Yskonyn) that you have all cost me a lot of money. I see you guys on Steam because we are "friended". I see what you are playing. I get curious. I look at some of the games. I try to ignore what I looked at. And all too many times  I go back and look again and think, "I would really like that" and I buy the damn thing. It would all be so much cheaper if you guys would just play games I already own. That whole "you can see what your friends are playing" is just EVIL.

My latest shame is IL-2 Sturmovik. Thanks for nothing W8taminute. The blasted thing was on sale 75% off.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Ajidica

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on March 01, 2020, 01:36:07 PM
Problem with your recruit-anywhere sacreds is that they have no prot.  So if you want to expand at all, you need to either run an awake expander or do more than just trash sloth to get a high end incarnate bless.  You can do that of course, and then you have some recruitable thugs that can take blesses and a decent nature/astral communion.  But your troops are still bad, and unless you took a resistance bless (which isn't viable for expansion) the recruit anywhere sacreds are nothing special in PvP wars after good magic comes online.
True. When I played EA Kailasa against W8aminute I had an awake Kamahedru(sp?), the cow with astral and nature for luck/regen bless.
Further, how many nations' troops are good after serious battle magic/summons start kicking around?

QuoteIt's playable, all nations are, but it's definitely low tier.  Eriu's problem is mostly different.  They still have problems expanding w/ just troops, but they *also* are one dimensional in magic, so I'd grade them even lower than Kailasa who can at least break into other paths more easily and has multiple useful late game paths from the start.
Eriu needs some help, both from a mechanics standpoint and the theme of the nation doesn't fit its roster. It is supposed to be themed around the legends of Cu Chulainn and Queen Madb, but none of that comes through.

@solops: You ever play Avernum: Escape from the Pit? It is one of the best role playing games I've ever played.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Ajidica on March 01, 2020, 09:06:12 PM
True. When I played EA Kailasa against W8aminute I had an awake Kamahedru(sp?), the cow with astral and nature for luck/regen bless.
Further, how many nations' troops are good after serious battle magic/summons start kicking around?

Not many.  Great nations have good expansion troops + good mages.  Average nations have one or the other, and can easily use pretender design to cover the gap + usually offer something unique as an extra (freespawn, national spells, unusual pretender options, etc).  The bad nations are ones that don't have good expansion troops but also don't have great mages to cover after expansion.

W8taminute

Quote from: solops on March 01, 2020, 02:52:42 PM
I want you guys to know (and Yskonyn) that you have all cost me a lot of money. I see you guys on Steam because we are "friended". I see what you are playing. I get curious. I look at some of the games. I try to ignore what I looked at. And all too many times  I go back and look again and think, "I would really like that" and I buy the damn thing. It would all be so much cheaper if you guys would just play games I already own. That whole "you can see what your friends are playing" is just EVIL.

My latest shame is IL-2 Sturmovik. Thanks for nothing W8taminute. The blasted thing was on sale 75% off.

Steam certainly knows what they're doing when it comes to sales.  I've been known to make a few purchases after seeing what my friends are playing.  Most of the time I enjoy those games that I picked up based off of what my friends are playing.  Good stuff but yes friends cost money!

IL-2 Sturmovik is great fun.  I noticed you picked that up.  It's a decent flight sim without being insanely complicated like some of the other games out there.  Once you memorize a certain few key bindings and/or button assignments on your joystick the game is very playable.  That goes for both the single player campaign and multiplayer.  Although in multiplayer if you do not have Track IR you are going to get bounced pretty badly and wonder where it came from.  A lot of players are really good at dogfighting. 

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on March 01, 2020, 10:28:31 PM
Quote from: Ajidica on March 01, 2020, 09:06:12 PM

Not many.  Great nations have good expansion troops + good mages.  Average nations have one or the other, and can easily use pretender design to cover the gap + usually offer something unique as an extra (freespawn, national spells, unusual pretender options, etc).  The bad nations are ones that don't have good expansion troops but also don't have great mages to cover after expansion.

Good discussion.  I was able to fight Kailasa pretty well in the early and middle game when I used Vanheim.  IIRC what killed me was Ajidica's thugs and SCs which stormed my provinces like no body's business. 

solops

I think we lost before he ever had a chance to "thug" me.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin