Main Menu

VTOL VR

Started by Jarhead0331, July 11, 2017, 08:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on July 13, 2017, 12:36:38 PM
What made you go with oculus over the vive ? Or was it just simple better priced ?

Oculus is running a sale for the rest of the summer. Its $200 off the normal price and it comes with the touch controllers.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 13, 2017, 11:55:51 AM
I cleared it with the wife: Oculus Rift has been ordered!

Awesome! Let us know what you think.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 13, 2017, 12:54:41 PM
Quote from: Skoop on July 13, 2017, 12:36:38 PM
What made you go with oculus over the vive ? Or was it just simple better priced ?

Oculus is running a sale for the rest of the summer. Its $200 off the normal price and it comes with the touch controllers.

Ultimately the price was what made me bite, along with the fact that its a complete kit with 2 sensors and the Touch controllers.
Still, if both units were similarly priced there are two reasons for me to choose the Rift over the Vive:
1) I don't have room for the Lighthouse setup the Vive recommends.
2) The Vive lacks an integrated sound pipeline, making you HAVE to use a seperate headset, whereas the Rift comes with a high quality integrated headphone system with a mic. If you do want to use your own cans you can however.

Pro's for the Vive are that it used less USB ports and its sensors can be plugged into a wall socket to receive power. The Rift needs 3 USB 3.0 ports minimum and 2 USB 2.0 ports.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 13, 2017, 01:00:27 PM

Definately! Do you have a Vive or Rift, can't remember?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 13, 2017, 01:52:26 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 13, 2017, 01:00:27 PM

Definately! Do you have a Vive or Rift, can't remember?

Vive.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Staggerwing

Ys, do you already have a Rift-capable GFX card? If so, which one? If not, which one are you looks at adding to your rig? The Rift price is tempting but I'd need a new card to go with it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Yskonyn

Yes I am already running a GTX1080, I got it when I bought my big ass 4K monitor.
I guess I am set for whichever gaming experience now. 👍😜
As for brand: I swear by Asus for years now for my motherboard / graphicscard combo.

The only thing I needed to add was a USB 3.0 expansion card. Aparently there are issues with chipsets of those in combination with the Rift.
Oculus recommends Inateck , but several reviews mention that if you want to use more than two sensors in time you would be better off buying a card with a controller for each port like the StarTech model mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKLkj3nfd9U&feature=share

The unit will probably arrive tomorrow. Pretty hyped!
Looking forward especially to trying Elite and DCS in VR.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 14, 2017, 01:17:27 AM
Yes I am already running a GTX1080, I got it when I bought my big ass 4K monitor.

Just looked- damn but those are expensive, $600-$100US! Even if I grabbed a Rift at the sale price it might be a few months before I'd be able to upgrade and use it.  :(
And by then the next round of VR hardware will probably be out...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Yskonyn

Well you can settle for a 1070 as well. It runs VR without any problems.

Staggerwing

Still around $500.  :(

Any idea what the cheapest card is that will work with the Rift for now? I can consider a second upgrade next spring.

Yskonyn

960 is minimum.
So that would mean a 780ti / 1050 should be able to run it and that card is fairly cheapish.
Or scout Ebay for used equipment.
An SLi 780 setup is VR worthy and can be had for cheap. But you'll probably need to change PSU.
The thing is that consistent frames are paramount to combat motion sickness. And VR renders two times a res higher than 1080p so it needs horsepower.

Staggerwing

Thanks Ys. I'll have to think on this over the week end and decide whether to buy or not.

Yskonyn

Aparently UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays here. So I wont get my Rift until late afternoon monday. Bummer.

Staggerwing

Bummer. Do you have Monday off?

Yskonyn

No I'll be flying, but my wife should be able to intercept it.
My days off start at tuesday, so it isnt bad timing in the end, although I did have most of today off work.