The Rise and Fall of Somali Piracy

Started by LongBlade, September 26, 2012, 08:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Somali pirates, the scourge of the ocean just a couple of years ago, is nearly gone.

This is a fairly long but good article detailing how miserable the wretches have become. A fun read, and a familiar story - if a bit accelerated - to those familiar with the history of piracy from the "golden age."

QuoteWhile many former pirates are unemployed, Mohamed Abdalla Aden has returned to his old job as a soccer coach for village boys. Aden said it now takes him a month to earn as much as he used to spend in a single day as a pirate.

"The coasts became too dangerous," he said, holding an old, beat-up mobile phone. "Dozens of my friends are unaccounted for and some ended up in jail."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/09/25/party-appears-to-be-ending-for-somali-pirates
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Shelldrake

Interesting read LB. Thanks for posting.  :)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Greybriar

That's good news, LongBlade. Thanks for sharing it.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Windigo

Quote from: LongBlade on September 26, 2012, 08:08:57 AM
Somali pirates, the scourge of the ocean just a couple of years ago, is nearly gone.

This is a fairly long but good article detailing how miserable the wretches have become. A fun read, and a familiar story - if a bit accelerated - to those familiar with the history of piracy from the "golden age."

QuoteWhile many former pirates are unemployed, Mohamed Abdalla Aden has returned to his old job as a soccer coach for village boys. Aden said it now takes him a month to earn as much as he used to spend in a single day as a pirate.

"The coasts became too dangerous," he said, holding an old, beat-up mobile phone. "Dozens of my friends are unaccounted for and some ended up in jail."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/09/25/party-appears-to-be-ending-for-somali-pirates

My bleeding liberal heart thinks the poor slob should be shower bait in Guantanamo....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

MikeGER

interesting story !
the creditor mentioned in the article, who made it all possible, needs a JDAM on his villa, when he throws the next party for his creditor friends and remaining actual customers....