Internet TV Options?

Started by Nefaro, January 28, 2016, 07:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

What Internet TV options are out there?

I ditched the overpriced cable tv package.  Wasn't watching it often enough to justify the ever-increasing monthly costs.  Yet the provider still raised my costs again after reducing it to only local channels.  Getting rather sick of the constant squeeze.  >:(

I have a SmartTV but the other one runs on a PS3 (soon to be PS4) and has no dedicated computer hooked to it.  I think the PS consoles use Sony's "VUE", which seems to charge about the same amount for similar packages as cable.  Since Sony makes good profits from their Vue app, I'm guessing that's the only internet tv service they allow on it..?

Someone recommended Sling TV, which is just about perfect except for having restricted hardware support (and no SyFy).  I don't think my Samsung TV is supported and my extra PC's old video card has recently had HDMI output issues so I would probably have to buy another vid card for that one if it were needed.  The other TV is an older non-genius HDTV so there is some compatibility issues in my case.

I'm not in a big hurry, but just wondering if any of you had other suggestions.  Even if it needs to run through a PC or other hardware.

bayonetbrant

SlingTV is a pretty good option if you only need 1 TV feed at a time.

You're not going to find any internet-based TV option with SyFy, or anything else from the NBC Universal family (Bravo, USA, E!, Sprout, MSNBC, NBC Sports, CNBC, etc) because Comcast owns NBC Universal, and they're not going to put their cable channels on a competing delivery platform that could take you out of their cable TV delivery revenue stream.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

I'm not saying Brant is wrong, but when GE owned NBC, you could get their channels, or at least their shows, through Hulu.  Unfortunately, unlike Sling TV, it doesn't look like you can get a list of what they carry with out signing up.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Wes

Yeah, you can get SyFy in a few places:

http://www.syfy.com/faq

(iTunes, Hulu and Amazon Prime)
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

Bison

The slingtv build in app on the Xbox One is one of the many things that tempts me about that particular console.  Also Sony's PS4 tv program has some weird location issue where you have to be in certain very large markets to get the service, which is off putting if your console is not only a gaming platform but an entertainment one.

OJsDad

Nefaro, one other thing to keep in mind.  A lot of ISP's are starting to put caps on how much data you can use each month.  Those that also see TV services seem to be doing this more as a way of trying to limit cord cutting. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Wes on January 28, 2016, 09:19:04 PM
Yeah, you can get SyFy in a few places:

http://www.syfy.com/faq

(iTunes, Hulu and Amazon Prime)

All of which are per-show services, not live broadcasting.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on January 28, 2016, 09:17:03 PM
I'm not saying Brant is wrong, but when GE owned NBC, you could get their channels, or at least their shows, through Hulu.  Unfortunately, unlike Sling TV, it doesn't look like you can get a list of what they carry with out signing up.

Isn't Hulu just on-demand episodes of shows?  IIRC, Hulu isn't the equivalent of flipping on the cable box and turning on a TV channel to just watch whatever's on the network at the time.

Bison

That's right.  It's on demand, but that's really the attraction of the package.  Watch whenever you want and not having to arrange your schedule around the TV programing schedule.

MetalDog

I'm pretty sure HULU is in bed with NBC.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Bison

The real issue of internet television is live events in particular sports.

OJsDad

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 28, 2016, 09:36:40 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on January 28, 2016, 09:17:03 PM

Isn't Hulu just on-demand episodes of shows?  IIRC, Hulu isn't the equivalent of flipping on the cable box and turning on a TV channel to just watch whatever's on the network at the time.

Yes, I believe you're correct.

You may want to check this out.  www.roku.com

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on January 28, 2016, 09:42:44 PM
The real issue of internet television is live events in particular sports.

^This
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

It's one of the appeals of slingTV because you do at least get ESPN and ESPN 2 in the basic package.