Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Gaming / Re: Wages of War: The Business of Battle
« Last post by TheFjordFox on Today at 10:03:38 PM »
Oh, roger that!

I would like to respond to that by saying that yes, I see that one of the first links on google, which is probably one of the more popular ones does indeed state that. However, on several other abandonware sites (in fact every one that I could find except for the one you are referring to), it seems to be abandonware. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be, as any company involved with making the game has long since been dissolved.

This is stated on myabandonware;

"Buy Wages of War: The Business of Battle
Wages of War: The Business of Battle is available for a small price on the following websites, and is no longer abandonware. GOG.com provides the best release and does not include DRM, please buy from them! You can read our online store guide ."

But, this is simply not true. GOG certainly does not have it for sale, and I've been looking quite frequently for it over the years, and never seen it there. If you want to purchase this game today, as far as I know, and I've been doing a lot of digging over the years, you need to find a physical copy on e-bay/amazon. To my knowledge, it is abandonware, and not available for purchase - but if someone could prove me wrong on this, I would absolutely love for them to do so, and see this game for sale anywhere! I think, and this is my opinion, that myabandonware just aren't updated on the game, as it is quite niche, and they do have, as they say, over 17000 games they handle.
« Last post by Jarhead0331 on Today at 09:57:11 PM »
There seems to be some question whether this game is abandonware or not. The site Myabandonware.com seems to suggest that it is not.

If this is the case, I would prefer you not distribute it on our site. We have a policy about that.

Sorry to be a Debbie downer!
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Dune movie coming in October 2021
« Last post by Jarhead0331 on Today at 09:52:18 PM »
This scene was so awesome. It oozes atmosphere and captures everything I always pictured a force like the Sardaukar would be. I wish someone would make a game based on the set and costume design in this movie.

« Last post by TheFjordFox on Today at 09:33:53 PM »
I remember picking it up when it was first released.  I had a game on my Atari 1040 called Sabre Team that I really enjoyed.  I think the devs were involved in Wages of War also made Sabre Team so I picked it up.  I recall being somewhat underwhelmed by Wages of War but still enjoying it enough to finish it.  I vaguely recall a mission taking part in a mineshaft and how much trouble that gave me.

Ah! Yes! The third mission! I have an episode out of that mission at the moment, and if you watch it, you will see that I share your frustrations on that specific mission!  ;D  It's the LOS part of it, right? Navigating through that cramped space, when you can't see anything until you step deep into a room, and even then, the walls obstruct your vision of the narrow hallways and it's annoying to move your mercenaries around. Does that sound familiar? It's an unfortunate mission design, but luckily it is an isolated incident. Crack on past it, and the game will be a lot more playable - 15/16 missions will not annoy you tremendously in this way.

To the ones of you wondering where you can find the game today - that's the thing - for years I was not able to. Recently it has appeared and disappeared again on several sites. Finding the game in a serviceable condition is half the battle! There's pleas on the GOG forums for them to add it to their game roster, but alas, so far they have not. If you dig a bit on google, you should be able to find a working version of it, but it's not as simple as clicking the first search result that pops up, I'm afraid.

Now! I do want other people to be able to experience the game, so I've done some digging myself, once again, and it seems the link I used a year or so ago no long functions. I have however been able to procure a few links where you MIGHT be able to download it. I say might, because I can not guarantee it's gonna work, or even that it is not going to be some sort of scam. I will post these links below, but I take no responsibility for the actual content of the downloaded files you might end up with.

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=26807
https://oldpcgaming.net/wages-of-war-the-business-of-battle/
https://archive.org/details/wages-of-war-the-business-of-battle
https://www.old-games.com/getfile/17019

One of these might do it for you! But also, they might not. What I will say is that the game originally was at around 50MB - if you have the original CD. However, the folder that I have the game in, takes up a whooping 462MB - so a size around ten times it's supposed size might not be a scam, and could be a functional copy of the game. It certainly does work for me. I assume some magic has had to be done to the game to allow it to run on Windows 10, and hence the overall size of it is tremendously increased.

Now; I do have the game on my computer, and if you provide a way for me to do so, I could upload/send my working version of it for/to you. I do wish for other people to be able to play it, so if you want me to do this, let me know, and we can probably find a way to make it happen - if you don't wanna take the chance at either of the links that I provided, which I cannot guarantee authenticity/functionality of.

I will also say that I am happy that so many of you have experiences with this game, as I felt that it's kinda niche. In this day and age it certainly is, but even in the 90s it probably was to a certain degree.
« Last post by Gusington on Today at 09:14:37 PM »
‘Somewhat Underwhelmed Robot’ has a good ring to it.
I remember picking it up when it was first released.  I had a game on my Atari 1040 called Sabre Team that I really enjoyed.  I think the devs were involved in Wages of War also made Sabre Team so I picked it up.  I recall being somewhat underwhelmed by Wages of War but still enjoying it enough to finish it.  I vaguely recall a mission taking part in a mineshaft and how much trouble that gave me. 
Computer Gaming / Re: Share your Screenshots!
« Last post by Gusington on Today at 03:46:55 PM »
I have not reached the baby yet but I just played for another couple of hours and seriously...this game is f'd in the best possible way. I am enjoying it a lot more than Biohazard that just grossed me out. The below was one of the vampiric, spectral, kinda hawt daughters...until I wasted her  :knuppel2:

why?  IMO its a bad time to sell for the simple reason that you now have to buy back into a very over inflated market.
Maybe too complex isn't the right way to frame it.  I guess what I'm driving at is that I'm increasingly interested in more "game" and less "simulation."

Still, I never did give CMO very much of a chance.  Perhaps I should invest in some DLCs like the two mentioned above and give the game another try.
General Discussion / Re: Trials and tribulations of owning a house
« Last post by steve58 on Today at 02:59:21 PM »
So we (siblings and I) got a buyer for $10K over asking price...on an "as is" house that is as old as I am (we moved into the house that my parents designed and had built when I was 5 months old)...which I'll just say is 50++ years old.  Hope it all works out and closes asap because...

...my wife and I are putting our house on the market on Monday.  Its been about 16 years since we last went through this and I didn't like it then and don't like it now.  Not a big fan of change, especially big ones like this.   :pullhair:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10