A Different Sort of Wargaming Challenge

Started by bayonetbrant, September 18, 2014, 09:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm up for it.  I was doing pretty good for a while there, trying to get up and down the 5K mountain trail near my place 4-5 times a week.  I did well for about a month and then got hit with a really bad case of gout in the right heel.  That laid me up for a week.  Having to stump around in pain meant that I ate a lot of ready made crap rather than spending time stomping up to the market and back and having to stand around in the kitchen making stuff.  The 3 kilos I'd lost came right back.  The first gout attack cleared up but I didn't want to stress the ankle so I rode my recumbent bike and did weights at the gym.  7 days later, another dose of gout but in the ball of the foot this time.  More shit food and little movement was the end result of that.

I haven't had a bad flare up in over three years and then two in the space of a month.  Sucks but it's kind of my fault.  I know to avoid the real trigger foods like shellfish, red wine, liver, too much beef, etc but I didn't look deeply enough into what I was eating instead.  I was going through a lot of turkey, spinach, asparagus, oats, and beans.  All are moderately high in purines and if I have one or two of those items, I should be avoiding all the others.  Oh well.  The latest flare up is cleared up so I should be good to go.

Weather's cooled off and the kids may well be back in school as of next week (as long as the teachers ratify the new contract and end their strike) so the pools, trails, and gyms shouldn't be as crowded as they are all summer.

LET'S DO THIS!

Staggerwing

I just started my new diet. 1200 cals a day. I recently bought a treadmill but it arrived broken. Since it was too effing big to lug back to the store (I'd had it delivered) I made a deal with the manufacturer's rep and he's sending me a new motor and some parts so I can fix it myself. Much faster than exchanging it and I really was not looking forward to trying to load it into my vehicle for the return. Hopefully a few minutes a day running during the 20 minutes between getting the kids on the school bus and leaving to get work will help.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

I think you're missing out on a golden opportunity.  Think of the cardio and upper body workout you'd get lugging your treadmill back to the store.

Staggerwing

Yeah, but I'd have to do it several times a week to get any benefit. I'd need to mix it up a bit to keep it interesting, maybe exchange an elliptical machine one day and a rowing machine the next. Hmm...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Toonces

I'm in!

I'd like to see that 20 minutes twice a week bumped up to 30 minutes three times a week, though.  And ideally 40-60 minutes four times a week as soon as possible.

20 minutes twice a week is a start but not the path to true long-term fitness.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Barthheart

I've been doing a 30 minute 3 km loop of campus since mid August at lunch. So far I've kept it up but I usually get bored and quit most of my exercise stuff....   :P

airboy

I was going to the gym 3+ days a week from April - July.  Then one weird injury, another chronic condition, surgery, and hopefully back to the gym to at least walk on the indoor track late this week. 

A month and a half without meaningful exercise has sucked.

On the other hand, my wife has been on the 500 calorie a day "concentration camp diet" since April.  She has lost more than 40 pounds.  But she has not been exercising since I could not go because she does not like going to the gym by herself.

GDS_Starfury

500 calories?  thats like a 1/4 of a twinkie.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Grimnirsson

Quote500 calories?  thats like a 1/4 of a twinkie.

And hardly healthy...diets are not working btw...they simply make you gain weight after it, really fast and more than you had before...just sayin'
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

GDS_Starfury

the problem is people dont know what a diet is.  a diet is not something you go on and off of.  a diet is what you do every day and its what its composed of that makes the difference.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Pointless activity is bound to fail because it is... well... pointless. No it's not! you say, it is working on your health, taking time for you, blah, blah, blah. So why do you get bored and leave it? Because some part of your mind knows it is useless activity.

Alternatively you can build something. You can clean something. You can train like an athlete for some real event. That includes things like martial arts. You can garden. You can cook.

It's funny people think physical work is below them, then they go flail around in a gym until they get bored. They even pay big money for the privilege.

Do something real. You get multiple benefits.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598