What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rekim

Can't wait for the Red Factories map to be digitized. Have only played a single scenario FtF so far. The map is massive and is in for lots of love once it is ready for Vassal.

Hit me up if you're ever in the mood for a match via VASL al_infierno.

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Ubercat

Quote from: Rekim on August 19, 2019, 06:59:14 PM
Can't wait for the Red Factories map to be digitized. Have only played a single scenario FtF so far. The map is massive and is in for lots of love once it is ready for Vassal.

Hit me up if you're ever in the mood for a match via VASL al_infierno.

I've been learning ASL as well. I've think that campaigns rather than one off scenarios are my main interest. To that end I have Decision at Elst for ASLSK, as well as Hatten in Flames and Red Factories.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Rekim

The standard HASL campaigns are a dream to play. The only downside being the long playtime. I played a good chunk of Valor of the Guards CG I recently (by far the smallest of VotG's 4 campaigns). After ~4 months playing one night a week we calculated another 10 months would be needed to reach the finish line. We decided to pack it in early. Just too many other ASL products in our to-play queue vying for VASL time. And I'm just talking MMP products. I absolutely will play CGs at some point. Might need to wait for semi/retirement.

The Hatten CG has been getting good buzz. Also hear it is more manageable in size. 

GJK

Been playing La Bataille des Quatra Bras for 8 hours every Saturday with a guy that lives in town that happened to follow La Bataille on Consimworld and saw my posts there.  He's a former Army Captain (retired- went enlisted to officer) and is a huge Nappy gaming fan.  He has own set of miniatures rules and was a wargamer from the 70's to the 90's when he got in to race car driving.  Now he's too old for race car driving and since meeting me, he's picked up interest in gaming again.  We plan to hit each game of the series since between us we pretty much have them all.  A fun guy to game with and we're both having a blast with this.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Geezer

Just got Last Blitzkrieg by Dean Essig and Multi-Man Publishing yesterday.  It's the first game in his Battalion Combat Series.  My 7 foot pool table is not wide enough for the full set of maps to lay flat so I'm going to have to get some plywood or something else to put on top of the table to expand it.  There are 6 counter sheets so I'm going to get a couple of plastic trays for all the units and markers.  Can't wait to get playing it!

Edit - Not sure why it's out of focus.  Looks fine on my phone.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Nefaro

Busted out ye olde Hornet Leader.

In the middle of a Medium length Iraq '91.  All is going well despite one string of bad luck resulting in a shootdown (and successful SAR).

Nefaro

Escape From Hades.

Solitaire game from Hollandspiele.

Halfway through first game of space jailbreak.  Going pretty well but time is ticking and I still haven't found the prison cells of the Princess or the Elder Aliens (for the good VP).

ArizonaTank

Played Dominant Species yesterday with some friends over TTS using Zoom for voice. A great game, and a great way to play.   
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Reckall

I'm learning MBT. I think I have the basic rules down pat (the only PitA being LOS over obstacles when you are on a higher elevation - but it is classic PitA for every wargame ever made  :tickedoff: ).

I'm liking the system so much that I already ordered FRG, BAOR and 4CMB. Still, I think that Modern Warfare at the "Panzer" scale is too deadly - as tanks can fire across the map with a good chance to destroy the enemy. While the Advanced Rules change this, to me the best approach for Modern Mechanized Warfare is still platoon/200-500 meters hexes. Anyway, we are having a blast, and that's what matters.

nelmsm

Well I have 3 tables set up right now.  One has Salerno '43, one has Hood Moves North, and the third has a Fire in the Lake game that I"m playing on Vassal but following along on the tabletop so I can study it better.  About to end though so probably another COIN game going there to play.

ArizonaTank

Played a face-to-face learning game yesterday of "The Devil's to Pay" covering the first day of Gettysburg.

Hermann Luttmann groupies will recognize this as the first game using the "black swan/blind swords" system.

To translate that statement for most human beings it can be described as a relatively fast playing, low record keeping system that emphasizes the chaos of the 19th century battlefield.  Getting your troops into position on time is just as hard as fixing bayonets and charging.

The game is published by Tiny Battles Publishing and true to the publisher, has a small footprint. Great for sticking in the suitcase and taking on a trip.

My opponent and I enjoyed the game, and plan on playing it again.

here is the link for a game description:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/280999/devils-pay-first-day-gettysburg
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

W8taminute

I'm going to have to see if Calandale did a video on that game Arizona.  I know he played a monster game covering Gettysburg (I think) but not a smaller game.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ArizonaTank

Quote from: W8taminute on September 29, 2023, 09:12:09 PMI'm going to have to see if Calandale did a video on that game Arizona.  I know he played a monster game covering Gettysburg (I think) but not a smaller game.

Right. The next "black swan" game was "A Most Fearful Sacrifice" that covers the entire battle of Gettysburg, and basically includes the first day scenarios as well.

I have it, and it is a very nice mounted board, with extra large counters and hexes (for old eyes). But I am not sure I have a table large enough, even if my wife would let me keep it up long enough to play.  BTW, the box is very large, heavy and I'm pretty sure its bullet-proof.

I will probably just play on Vassal.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/329089/most-fearful-sacrifice-three-days-gettysburg
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

nelmsm

I've played a couple of single map scenarios of A Most Fearful Sacrifice and loved it.  When I'm done with my move and you are interested I'd give you a game on Vassal