What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Going to be reading through the rules for 2 solitaire games : Field Commander Napoleon and Space Infantry. I'm hoping to get one out on the table this weekend as well.

son_of_montfort

Does anyone remember this gem?

Crappy paper cards, cheap cardboard chits, but excellent crazy-fun gameplay?

Well, FFG just reprinted it and it looks like this:

And I intend to play it today!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 04, 2012, 11:08:50 AM
Does anyone remember this gem?

Not only that, but I remember in 05-06-07 they had a live-action WizWar game out in the hallway at Origins.  The stuff that players had to do to win "combat" was a riot: fencing match with feather dusters; pop-lock dance-off; play classical music on a kazoo, etc.

I was working a booth all 3 of those years, so I didn't really have time to mess with it, but it looked like sooooo much fun
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

son_of_montfort

^ Awesome! The art for the 1993 box looks like Phil Foglio, who did several M:tG cards and has his own web comic (Girl Genius). Tom Jolly, who is well known for his wacky ideas, designed it. We barely played the 1993 version, but I sold it this year for about $80... right before news of a reprint hit. I felt bad for the buyer, but I had no clue it was going to happen.

Anyway, we just finished playing and it was a hoot! Better yet, the wife LOVED it (and won, which is good). Certainly a bit random, but there is some deeper M:tG-like strategy here. I highly suggest this one to people who love "gotcha" games where you actively work to trump your opponents strategies with clever use of cardplay and board movement.

Brant, I think your son would really love to play this with you. It isn't too hard for a younger player to pick up, from what I see. The rules are pretty streamlined and the card text isn't too much worse than Dominions.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 04, 2012, 04:54:36 PM
^ Awesome! The art for the 1993 box looks like Phil Foglio, who did several M:tG cards and has his own web comic (Girl Genius).

Phil Foglio got famous for "What's New with Phil & Dixie" in Dragon Magazine.  The .\\tG art came much later.

You can find them online here: http://www.airshipentertainment.com/growfcomic.php
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

son_of_montfort

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 04, 2012, 07:02:45 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 04, 2012, 04:54:36 PM
^ Awesome! The art for the 1993 box looks like Phil Foglio, who did several M:tG cards and has his own web comic (Girl Genius).

Phil Foglio got famous for "What's New with Phil & Dixie" in Dragon Magazine.  The .\\tG art came much later.

You can find them online here: http://www.airshipentertainment.com/growfcomic.php

From the same site you can get to their other comics, Girl Genius (very good) and Buck Godot (also good, but defunct now I believe).

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Arctic Blast

Have Wiz War pre-ordered...unfortunately, I pre-ordered the Hades expansion for Cyclades on the same order and the release of that one was pushed back AGAIN. It's now due out at the end of this month. If it doesn't appear by then, I think I'll be asking the store to just ship Wiz War.  :)

bayonetbrant

What's on my table right now?  Well, a lot of moving boxes.  But underneath all of that, I'm looking forward to getting HeroScape back out and playing with my son now that he's old enough to fully understand the rules.  And with the new ManCave over the garage, we've got room to leave the table up as long as we want, with no stray/wandering toddlers to take it out for us.

After that?  Probably trying to (finally) finish testing the rewrites and updates to Asian Thunder and Orange Crush.

Arctic Blast

Order finally shipped and I got Wiz War yesterday...just finished unboxing and packaging everything for it and reading the rules. Also got my first ever order from NWS on the same day, so I'm currently awash in new games. Expensive shipping from them to Central Alberta (no fault of theirs...just that damn geography!), but I wanted to give them a try.

I have no idea how the Hell I'm going to choose what to play first.  :o

bayonetbrant

Toonces

I've moved back to the Pacific theater of operations.

I have been giving Carriers at War (computer) a go again, but I keep feeling like I'm missing a level of detail that I need for a tactical CV warfare game. 

Carrier (VG) has that level of detail, but it's so hard to get the mental energy up to invest in a game like that when I get home from work...especially if I put a few hours into the surf during the day.  But, I broke out the rules, again, and I think I'm ready to try.

I know I'm going to love the game if I invest the time to learn it.

I also have Flat Top out for a potential Grog Heads refereed game via Vassal.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Barthheart

Quote from: Toonces on February 23, 2012, 01:15:31 PM
I also have Flat Top out for a potential Grog Heads refereed game via Vassal.

Ohh... that might be cool. Never played Flattop but always wanted to learn.......

Arctic Blast

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 23, 2012, 06:51:55 AM
^ roll a freakin' die!

Dammit...such an obvious solution!

And the winner is...

We Must Tell the Emperor!

Rekim

I just cleaned up Silent War this afternoon before work (I got canned at then end of the second quarter of the 1941 campaign due to poor tonnage production). I started setting up Patton's Best in its place. I enjoy playing with myself as you can probably tell  ::)

bayonetbrant

^ check out the VASSAL thread.  There's a few of us starting to organize some learning/playing times.