Save me, for I have become FROZEN...

Started by Cyrano, August 30, 2015, 12:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

First, given the way my day took a turn for the weird, this debate and the absurd passion behind it is a wonderful diversion.

Second, I'm not sure here, but, given how brief was the time that Doug had that game in his possession before taking that picture, I can't believe the game didn't come with the corner of its chits already gently curved.  Doug, not so?

Third:  I have not yet decided whether to welcome my chits to the tribe or not, but that "Climb" chit does give me the shudders...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

GJK

Seriously though, I'd scan the countersheets and then make a quick Zuntzu gamebox for it or a VASSAL module if you're a little more ambitious.  You may play it (electronically) and then decide it ain't all that.  Then you'd still have an unpunched copy available for sale or trade or to just hoard.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GJK on August 31, 2015, 12:50:36 PMgentle little circumcisions

I never in my life thought that phrase would ever be uttered
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Cyrano on August 31, 2015, 05:25:02 PMFirst, given the way my day took a turn for the weird

The Sheriff's quote going viral?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

James Sterrett

Get one of these for faster, more accurate clipping.  (Or circumcision if the bits fit in.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G2G340O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Mine works very, very well.  (On counters.)

Amazingly enough, the company knows wargamers exist, via a personal connection to somebody on Boardgamegeek, and altered the design slightly to make it work better for us.

The only downside is that it's heavy enough that it eventually tires out my wrist, which I suppose tells you I haven't had enough of another kind of exercise.  ;)

Staggerwing

Quote from: James Sterrett on August 31, 2015, 05:53:33 PM
Get one of these for faster, more accurate clipping.  (Or circumcision if the bits fit in.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G2G340O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Quote from: AMAZONCurrently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Dammit Jim! You created a run on the clipper market!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on August 31, 2015, 12:30:27 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on August 31, 2015, 12:15:06 PM
Corner rounding...corner rounding...I fear in that way lies madness...

Don't do it! What did the poor defenseless counters ever do to you to deserve have parts hacked off?!?
Embrace the square in all it's pointy glory!

:knuppel2:

Their corners became as velcro
And laid too often with each other

panzerde

Quote from: Cyrano on August 31, 2015, 05:25:02 PM

Second, I'm not sure here, but, given how brief was the time that Doug had that game in his possession before taking that picture, I can't believe the game didn't come with the corner of its chits already gently curved.  Doug, not so?

I spent a couple of hours Saturday turning square into round. The OSG counter sheets are your standard 1/2 inch square and not really well die cut sheets. I think I'm more inclined to clip counters like that than I am those that are better quality. If the counters after I cut them out are nicely square, I'm not all that bothered to spend two hours (or more) clipping.

Now, as for the game...

I damn near bought that game the day we were talking about Enterprise Games. If I hadn't already spent half of a car payment on GBOH stuff, I probably would have. This is Omdurman man! Where else are you going to find any other decent, playable portrayal of that battle? The little cardboard Mahdists and British Regulars cry out to be freed from their decades long imprisonment and be used for the purpose they were made!

If you don't play it, I'm going to connive with Vance and he and I will cause you to buy so many new games that you will have to sell a kidney to afford them and build an annex on to your tall white house to store them.

Besides, your wife thinks you should play it. You know what happens when you don't listen to your wife.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Barthheart

Quote from: panzerde on August 31, 2015, 09:49:15 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on August 31, 2015, 05:25:02 PM

I spent a couple of hours Saturday turning square into round. The OSG counter sheets are your standard 1/2 inch square and not really well die cut sheets. I think I'm more inclined to clip counters like that than I am those that are better quality. If the counters after I cut them out are nicely square, I'm not all that bothered to spend two hours (or more) clipping.

Now, as for the game...

I damn near bought that game the day we were talking about Enterprise Games. If I hadn't already spent half of a car payment on GBOH stuff, I probably would have. This is Omdurman man! Where else are you going to find any other decent, playable portrayal of that battle? The little cardboard Mahdists and British Regulars cry out to be freed from their decades long imprisonment and be used for the purpose they were made!

If you don't play it, I'm going to connive with Vance and he and I will cause you to buy so many new games that you will have to sell a kidney to afford them and build an annex on to your tall white house to store them.

Besides, your wife thinks you should play it. You know what happens when you don't listen to your wife.

O0

James Sterrett

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 31, 2015, 06:35:18 PM

Quote from: AMAZONCurrently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Dammit Jim! You created a run on the clipper market!
[/quote]

My evil plan is working!   :crazy2:

James Sterrett

This one (2.5mm corner) should work as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Deluxe-Corner-Rounder-Cutter/dp/B00G08PEXO/

The flat plate is useful for holding the counter as you turn it around.  I wouldn't go to the 3mm model, personally.

GJK

I have the 2mm and 3mm in the original style.  I had miscuts all the time when I first started using them but now I rarely have one so haven't felt the need to upgrade to the newer "deluxe" version.  I have seen one in person though and it is sweet!.  I imagine that the 2.5mm would be a nice happy medium for 1/2" and 5/8" counters though personally it would take just a tad too much off the former and not quite enough off the latter for me I think.  Too damn expensive to buy two different sizes though (the orginal style you can have for half the price).  If you have 80% or more counters in the 1/2" size (older games), then you might get a 2mm, otherwise, if you're playing LnL and newer games with the larger counters you would probably want to go with the 2.5mm.  Go 3mm though if all you play is LnL or the like with the 5/8" counters.  My opinions on it all.  And that's all that I have to say about that....
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Cyrano

To paraphrase George Carlin:  Somewhere in the world, by mere process of elimination, there lives the world's worst mohel.  Problem is, someone has a brit milah scheduled with him TOMORROW.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806