Share your real life creepypastas

Started by agrippamaxentius, October 27, 2015, 02:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

This is not my story, and it may have been told before in a different thread.
After the Battle of Midway, CV-10 was renamed Yorktown to commemorate the carrier lost at that battle.
A draft of crewmen from the first Yorktown were sent to the new Yorktown to give experience and a sense of duty to the new carrier.
Before long, it was noticed that things "happened" in Number One Fireroom.  Nothing bad, stuff like lost gear turning up in a place that made no sense.  One time a fireman watching the feed water supply said that he nodded off.  Someone yelled in his ear, "Kid!  High Water - Low Water!" Waking up he saw the level was out of sight.  He screamed at the watch and they vented steam and saved a boiler explosion.
Afterwards he asked who yelled at him.  Everyone just gave him a look and said he was the one who did all the screaming.
Another time, two Boiler Techs were scraping firesides.  This was a dirty, disgusting job in a tight, claustrophibic boiler.
A guy looked into the boiler, "You guys like a drink?" and handed in a silver pitcher (like the wardroom's) with chilled water.  The one BT took a pull and handed it to the other.  At this he noticed the other guy was white and shaking.  "Was that Smitty?"
He stuck his head out to see and no one was there.  They nearly killed each other trying to squeeze out the vent at the same time.

http://www.navalhistory.org/2010/06/04/chief-water-tender-acting-appointment-charles-kleinsmith

Years later, when Yorktown opened up at Patriot's Point, the family went down with my dad, a plank owner.  Meeting some of the other engineers, I asked one what he knew of Number One Fireroom.  He looked at us and just said, "You know we never took a torpedo or bomb, don't you?  We just figured Smitty had the watch."
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bayonetbrant

I've stayed the night on the Yorktown at Patriot's Point.  The only weird noises were the Cub Scouts.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Ubercat

I spent a lot of nights on the Independence CV-62. Of course I was stationed on it at the time ...
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Sir Slash

Scariest story I ever heard... My wife and my girlfriend both told me they were pregnant the same day. And the really frightening part, they're both lawyers. In the same office.  ;D   Just kidding.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: agrippamaxentius on November 07, 2015, 01:51:40 PM
I must admit if I saw a bipedal canine I would be stuck in the akward position of wanting to laugh hysterically, yet being unbelievably creeped out at the same time.

Every story I've heard about people running into bipedal canines starts with "being unbelievably creeped out" at best, and moving quickly into "pant-crapping terror". (Because they look like modern movie werewolves.) A lot of the same charge-bluff behaviors, though, which I find interesting.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

agrippamaxentius

Man these still send shivers up my spine.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AgrippaMaxentius For Scourge of War, Combat Mission, Ultimate General Gettysburg and countless others.

JasonPratt

Minor new edition. The nieces wanted to tell me about the scariest day in their life (so far) which happened recently when they were... uh, can't recall if they were in North Carolina mountains or Arkansas mountains -- they took both trips back to back, I'll have to ask. The presence of a dog suggests they told me Arkansas, but for some reason I recall hearing North Carolina.

Anyway, they were out running through the woods with the dog, when it suddenly stopped, and growled, and then turned and ran away leaving them behind. They followed promptly, scared out of their minds. "We think it was a bear!" Lydia told me. I forgot to ask if they saw anything that looked like a bear, but I was thinking very loudly: "DOGS DON'T GENERALLY RUN AWAY FROM BEARS LIKE THAT AND LEAVE KIDS BEHIND!" Dogs are pack animals and want to impress and protect the pack. I opined that it might have been a cougar (and then had to explain what that was).

But I can think of only one thing in North America that has routinely been described as scaring a dog away like that. Not a bear, and not a cougar (and not wolves, i.e. other larger dogs).

I'll try to remember asking them if they saw anything out in the woods that might have scared the dog, and them, so badly. And maybe if they saw any tree frames nearby. I've seen those myself when path-hiking and biking out at Falls Creek Falls south of the Cumberland Plateau (at the divide between East and Middle TN, and where the plateau starts breaking up). I could tell they weren't storm damage because (the last time we were in that area) we did see some obvious tornado damage where a funnel had touched down in the forest and bounced over the road, throwing things around. Nothing like that. Just looked like two trunks had been bent toward each other and a third trunk log placed on top within handy forks of the other two trees, which had been snapped off above the forks (as if to make the forks).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Y'all might have heard of the little 2 year old boy who disappeared in West TN last Thursday, and the huge manhunt for him. (This happened close to some deer hunting property owned by one of my Dad's brothers, btw.)

While I haven't seen any details to suggest the boy was abducted by... well, something... I keep an eye out for any such details, because the story of how he went missing very much doesn't add up -- and yet the police don't seem to be suspecting the grandmother being complicit or a victim of crime.

God help him, if he wasn't abducted by someone, he's going to be in increasing trouble with the icefall expected tonight. I actually hope someone (or something) is watching out for him trying to take care of him. (So far there has been no evidence of being carried off by a coyote or cougar to be eaten, or that kind of thing.)

JasonPratt

NECROTHREAD ARISE!

Because Halloween, like last year.  :coolsmiley:

-- a little late for Halloween, but we need some distraction from political horror. ;)

The little lost West Tennessee boy I mentioned in the previous entry, late this January (2016), was found about a week later, dead in a field a mile from his house.  :'( Medical autopsy released in early March, said he died of hypothermia (understandable with ice storms kicking up after his disappearance), with no evidence of any trauma before death. Extensive police investigation revealed no evidence of his family's complicity in his death or disappearance.

At the time I already knew there were certain details which fit a loose profile of such fatal disappearances of young children; I didn't know at the time that former LEO David Paulides has been making a bit of a retirement living collecting and collating missing person data in North America (and around the world more generally in recent years), where the missing persons have had peculiar circumstances in their disappearances and (where applicable) recovery, alive or dead.

It must be said up front that Paulides is a major believer in Bigfoot and aliens (and their combination), and personally believes this/these are a factor in a substantial number of such disappearances; but his "Missing 411" books are famous for being just collections of facts, widely praised by experts in related non-crypto fields.

Anyway, his research results break out into various subcategories, and what happened with the boy from Pinson, TN ticks a lot of the characteristic boxes (although I haven't found where he himself discusses the case). A child too young to move far quietly, or even to talk well, vanishes almost under the nose of the child's nearby adults while in a rural area near or in the woods -- in this case the boy's grandmother was walking him and his 4-year old sister (or maybe cousin) on paths in a 60 acre part of a forest she owned, part of a larger 600 acre area. The girl had been lagging behind, so the grandmother stopped and turned back to make sure the girl caught up. In the few seconds the grandmother had her back turned, the 2-year-old boy silently vanished into a winter woods filled with leaves and other crunching underbrush.

Dogs, when brought in, whether trackers or cadaver dogs, are unable to follow the trail -- ditto here; the dogs reportedly could track the boy up to the point where he vanished with the grandmother, and then lost the trail.

This was weird enough at the time that I wasn't the only one who took notice; but other people were naturally expecting some kind of conspiracy involving the grandmother selling the boy off or giving the boy to his (not in fact) estranged father, or anyway that her story was bogus. None of that ever turned out to be true.

I haven't heard any details about missing clothing articles, but these kinds of stories often involve the shoes being taken off or pants or other clothing, often in highly unlikely environmental conditions (like the coming ice storms of a West TN winter).

When bodies are found, they're typically either in places unrealistically difficult for kids to get to, or out in plain sight in an area already previously searched, often with no signs of trauma. That's exactly what happened with this boy: a few days after my prior post, he was found in an open field a mile from his house, already carefully searched, dead out in the open, no signs of trauma.

Obviously, this sort of thing is super-traumatic for the family. But it makes me wonder if my nieces, thanks to that oddly scared dog, narrowly missed out adding us to the traumatic survivor list...  :-\

When I learned this morning that there's a much more extensive number of such disappearances with these kinds of characteristics than I previously thought, I was re-checking information earlier this year with various sources, including NewsMom ;) , and she reminded me that little kids can cover surprisingly far distances in harsh terrain -- and then when thinking of her personal example, she got real sober. Back when she was a girl, helping her family chop cotton, they looked up one afternoon to see the new baby brother toddling over a rise toward them, barely old enough to walk, miles from their house.

But he had never been to that field; had no way to find them; and his clothes weren't messed up at all, and he wasn't exhausted. They always thought someone found him on the road and brought him and dropped him off, but

1.) They asked everyone they knew, and no one ever told them that happened -- and a stranger wouldn't know where to take him. Nor could the family be seen from the road, so a stranger wouldn't even know where to hand him off to a group of nearby people.

2.) Why would they let off a little boy barely able to walk, at the field, rather than taking him home?

3.) Why would they let him off from the road, instead of taking him to the family in the field? This is practically inexplicable for either strangers or people who knew Mom's family either one, but moreso for strangers. (I also got the impression that the rise he toddled over was more in the direction of the house than the road!)

Her brother was too young to talk and so couldn't explain how he got there. Nor, to be honest, did she think he seemed at all traumatized. He was happy to see them, but more in the sense of "I found you, yay me!" than "Thank God, I thought I was gonna die!"

So then I thought of this thread from last year, and wondered if there were more stories fellow Grogs knew of this kind of thing happening...  :o

MikeGER

Jason THX for resurrecting the topic  O0

witnessing scary personal experiences is still an interesting topic ... any time of the year! 
but only if its a personal account from a Groghead or a very close trustworthy person to him, not a generic i got told around the campfire or i have read in a local newspaper story.

btw: little kids wander just off when not attended. it happens in the malls, or their according parking lots, like in the outdoors, or they fall in their own family or friends shallow koi ponds sometimes (and drawn) when not watched over literally every second all the time.
If it happen in the waste outdoors in can be fatal, even experienced hikers can loose the track and die
(i have read a story this summer in German news about a missing 66 year hiking women from Tennessee, who was found 2 years! later next to the Appalachians trail in Maine, which she had hiked for month, some stretches partially solo (other is groups or with people to met again for the night camps as it is the habit on those famous trails) ... was later found and the forensic analysis and esp. her diary showed she had wandered around 26 days to find back the trail (or civilisation) until she had died of exhaustion close to the trail) ...it not spooky just accidents (or sometimes crimes) 

Does some old or new Groghead around here has personal scary (ghost, mystery, etc.. ) stories to tell?

Martok

I'd not thought of it in quite this context (and it's not quite the same as what you're referring to), but my younger brother had an almost-uncanny ability to 1.) suddenly disappear under everyone's noses whenever we were out & about, and 2.) wander a good ways off (and therefore be missing a good while) before he was found. 

The little bastard was especially good at pulling this whenever it was just my mom with us kids (although it did still occur when my dad was with as well), to the point that I was pretty much permanently assigned as an additional "guard" to watch him whenever we went out somewhere, even if it was just to the local grocery store.  Caused major heart attacks for us on more than one occasion. 

We joke about it now (and give my brother crap for it), but the truth is he gave my parents (and me) some genuinely scary moments back when he & I were kids. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Windigo

:timeout:    I don't need creepypastas. I have enough medical drama in my family.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.