Hosts of Car Talk to Retire

Started by mirth, June 08, 2012, 12:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/08/hosts-of-car-talk-to-retire-after-35-years-of-automotive-banter/?hp

I knew it would happen eventually, but damn this bums me out. I've been a huge fan of Car Talk for 20 years. It's one of the few weekly programs I never miss and it always cheers me up.

Least it will continue with repeats.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

I've had to work almost every Saturday for the last two decades and one of the things I looked forwards to on my rare Saturdays off was Click and Clack. In the late 90's I ran a small optical lab for a few years and since I made the rules I was able to listen to them at work. Good times :D For those of you who have kids under 10, the Magliozzis were even in an episode of 'Arthur' on kids PBS!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

I started out listening to Car Talk because I did work Saturdays and having NPR on while I worked was acceptable. I loved the Click and Click brothers from the first time I listened to them.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

I wasn't a regular listener, but I did catch (and enjoy) the occasional episode. 

Sad news, but as mirth said, it had to happen eventually. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Ubercat

When I was 24 I hated them. Their jokes weren't funny and they annoyed the crap out of me. Fast forward 20 years and I quite enjoy listening to those guys. I guess their sense of humor finally improved.

(Either that or I got over myself.)
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

GroggyGrognard

This:

Quote from: Martok on June 09, 2012, 11:51:53 AM
I wasn't a regular listener, but I did catch (and enjoy) the occasional episode. 

Sad news, but as mirth said, it had to happen eventually.
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin