To you, which offers a better gaming experience?

Started by acctingman, June 06, 2017, 05:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

This is just a random question that popped into my head (as I was trying to figure out my own gaming wants and needs)

To you, which arena of gaming offers you the more enjoyable gaming experience?....PC gaming, Miniature gaming or board gaming.

Gleefully waiting to read everyone's answers!  :dreamer:

Barthheart

Different for the different types.

PC gaming solo.
Board gaming/miniature gaming with friends.

besilarius

Much prefer miniature gaming with a bunch of friends.
Due to distance, it's usually computer gaming.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

trailrunner

Board gaming for me.

I've played a few computer games, but never really got in to them.  The only minis I've played was when I was kid playing with army men in my backyard.

Bison

Board and RPGs offer the best for me.  My computer time is limited to watching Royals baseball, which has not been an overly enjoyable experience this season.  The notable exception is when Moustakas comes up to bat and the kids start chanting MOOSE!  MOOSE!

Ubercat

Board games, absolutely. I've enjoyed plenty of PC games, and a few miniatures as well, but I can regale you with enthusiastic tales of board games played 6 years ago. I don't remember what PC games I was playing last year.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Sir Slash

PC Gaming all the way. I got nobody to play anything else with. Except the cat and she cheats.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Greybriar

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 06, 2017, 09:43:40 PM
PC Gaming all the way. I got nobody to play anything else with. Except the cat and she cheats.

Same here except I don't have a cat.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

Board games for everything except high-complexity 4X games.  I gotta have my Civ on a computer.  Otherwise, I get by w/ board games, or board games 'ported to digital (esp on my phone - Carcassonne, Dominion, Kingdom Builder, etc)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Good minis game - big table, lots of players on each side. Hands down the best experience imo. I'm lucky enough to have a group that can do a game like that every few months and play smaller games in between.

I love playing a board games too, but there's a lot to be said for sitting done with a nice console shooter and just blowing the crap out of shit.

Time and a place for all of it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Oddly, the times I used to play FPS games were multi-player split-screen games at lunchtime at one of my own offices.  I'm not sure I've ever played an FPS game as a single player.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Quote from: Barthheart on June 06, 2017, 05:55:36 PM

Different for the different types.

PC gaming solo.
Board gaming/miniature gaming with friends.

Agree.  RPGs with friends is amazing. 

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 06, 2017, 09:43:40 PM

When I retire in 5 years we can do old man PBemail on wargames!