Main Menu

Epic?

Started by Jarhead0331, January 30, 2019, 10:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Is anybody using Epic yet as an alternative to Steam? I really had no interest in trying it, but recently the platform scored some relatively significant exclusive titles. I checked it out on the web and downloaded the client and so far I am not impressed. Not only did I dislike the layout and found it hard to navigate and find what I was looking for, but it also tried installing Fortnite onto my system unprompted. That really annoyed the piss out of me.

I also have security concerns. When Fortnite was in early beta, I had contemplated trying it out so I created an Epic account. Since then, I have never used it, but I receive frequent warnings that people are trying to hack the account, or access it without authorization. I pretty much ignore the alerts since I have no real personal details associated with the account, no financial information or anything like that. However, if I started using the account to buy games, that would obviously change.

Anyway, just wondering if anybody else has checked it out and if so, what your experiences have been like. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

That's why we love having you as the Boss. You're always the first one to try out latest and greatest and tell us if it's really worth our time. And with this one, apparently not.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 30, 2019, 10:52:26 AM
That's why we love having you as the Boss. You're always the first one to try out latest and greatest and tell us if it's really worth our time. And with this one, apparently not.

I am always willing to take one for the team.  :cowboy:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

Well based on your original post I would not even bother to try out Epic.  If they are having security issues I don't trust them with my personal information or my bank account. 

Steam is pretty good security wise.  Even the mighty can take a fall sometimes (i.e. Sony) but for the most part Steam has been doing pretty good.  (hope I didn't jinx it now)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Yskonyn

I have had several emails telling me that people were trying to login to my Epic account, but that was months ago when I briefly played Fortnite.
It has been quiet on that front for quite a while now however.

I have no intention of using Epic's store yet, but I feel it might be a good thing Valve has someone competing now at the very least.

But if Epic keeps on shoving stuff onto one's pc without asking I am definately not likely to ever buy from their store. Exclusivity or not.
This is a typical issue and behaviour people should vote against by not pulling their wallet IMO.

Thanks for the heads up JH! Always nice indeed to have someone riding shotgun! 😜
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2019, 11:01:45 AM

So I should un-cancel your invitation to the Brony convention then?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Huw the Poo

Apparently they also sign you up to various mailing lists and make it difficult to opt out.  I've been hearing all sorts of shit about Epic lately.

Just today, I was reading about a bait and switch they did with the latest Metro game.  They've been taking preorders on Steam for ages, and now, two weeks prior to release, they suddenly announce that it will only be available through their own store.  Physical copies, that were supposed to contain Steam codes, will now contain Epic codes instead.

The chances of me using their client are zero squared.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 30, 2019, 01:03:51 PM

Correction...I am mostly always willing to take one for the team.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Just yesterday I read about the signifcant cyber horrors of the Epic store and will be staying away from it. Maybe forever.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

I use it for the free fortnightly games. subnautica was the first free game. But really I agree with you. Steam's interface is much more mature and more the traditional windows 95 "detailed" layout I like. The newer "iphone" style non-cluttered minimalist interfaces I don't like. I have always felt that I was being treated like a child. I can absorb much more information than they are willing to give on the first page. All in all not a fan. But should I be happy steam has competition? That is what capitalism is all about right? Because a lot of my friends are split on this EPIC client. Some are afraid steam will die and they will lose all of their games once this market becomes like the streaming market.

I know a lot of the games EPIC have signed as exclusives are only for 12 months BTW. Then I guess they can be sold on steam.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

trek

JH, thanks for the heads-up on the Epic site. I was very disappointed to hear that Ubi's Division 2 will be on Epic and not Steam. The upcoming game is a must for me as I'm still playing the first one and enjoy the game as an RPG wrapped in a first-person shooter. The big draw for me on the sequel is the Wash. DC setting since it was my home town for 35 years and I know the downtown area like the back of my hand.

To avoid Epic I'll just buy it through the Ubi site since I already have an account there anyway. I was just reading today on Blues News about Metro fans being really pissed about that game going over to Epic too.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2019, 01:16:55 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 30, 2019, 01:03:51 PM

Correction...I am mostly always willing to take one for the team.

:DD :DD :DD

Moreb

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 30, 2019, 01:15:59 PM
The chances of me using their client are zero squared.

No one told me there was going to be math involved.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Gusington

I was told there would be cake.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Moreb

Quote from: Gusington on January 30, 2019, 09:21:47 PM
I was told there would be cake.

So now there's math and no cake. This place is a prison!
When dongles fly? - mirth