New York, New York

Started by Phantom, April 28, 2019, 10:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantom

I'm off to New York next week and wonder if anyone can suggest any interesting places (with a military/historical theme, but also other interesting places "off the beaten track") that I could visit. I went a few years ago & did all the better known places - Empire State, Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, Intrepid Air/Space Museum etc) but am looking for maybe lesser known places to go. Also - any great places for breakfast? (I'm staying on W 40th Ave)
Thanks in advance!

steve58

Not sure how interesting it would be, but West Point does tours.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

besilarius

Consider  the New York Military Affairs symposium.
http://nymas.org/

Their calendar shows upcoming presentations.  Their audio podcasts have some great offerings that are very wide ranging.
If you're interested in gaming history, sometimes Jim Dunnigan, Dave Isby, or Al Nofi from the early days of SPI show up.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

If you have time, go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art's satellite campus of the Cloisters in northern Manhattan. Also visit Inwood in northern Manhattan, home of Fort Tryon Park, which has Revolutionary War ruins and the last patch of native woods in the city. Visit Battery Park so see the restored Castle Clinton (where immigrants came in before Ellis Island was built - and it was also an active fort protecting the battery before that). Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (free!) Visit Brooklyn Heights (beautiful!) Visit the South Street Seaport Museum. Avoid the High Line and the Hudson Yards at all costs. Try out the 79th Street Boat Basin - there is a restaurant there that did serve beer and cheeseburgers and it's where The Wife and I had our first date (in 1997)...not sure what it's like now but it was beautiful. Walk along the Hudson River...watch out for bikes. And do not feed the hipsters.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Also there's the, "Gusington Museum" where all the exhibits have boxes in front of them for short people to stand on so they can see what's being displayed. There's a, 'small' fee.  :peace:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^-^

Also don't forget Fraunces Tavern near Water St. all the way downtown where George Washington said goodbye to his officers at the end of the Revolution.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

You don't want to get the hipsters wet, either.

Trust me....
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

^Mogwai...

Not to worry. Bright light will cause them to scurry back into the safety of their dim and trendy basement coffee bars.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

I thought Grand Central Station was gorgeous. Too bad Loki destroyed it in Avengers 1.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Phantom

Quote from: Gusington on April 28, 2019, 11:40:19 AM
If you have time, go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art's satellite campus of the Cloisters in northern Manhattan. Also visit Inwood in northern Manhattan, home of Fort Tryon Park, which has Revolutionary War ruins and the last patch of native woods in the city. Visit Battery Park so see the restored Castle Clinton (where immigrants came in before Ellis Island was built - and it was also an active fort protecting the battery before that). Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (free!) Visit Brooklyn Heights (beautiful!) Visit the South Street Seaport Museum. Avoid the High Line and the Hudson Yards at all costs. Try out the 79th Street Boat Basin - there is a restaurant there that did serve beer and cheeseburgers and it's where The Wife and I had our first date (in 1997)...not sure what it's like now but it was beautiful. Walk along the Hudson River...watch out for bikes. And do not feed the hipsters.

Thanks Gus for the comprehensive reply. I was going to walk along the High line - why is it "avoid at all costs"?
I'm guessing they've put up a plaque at the restaurant in the Boat Basin?

And thanks to everyone else too for the suggestions.

Regards

Gusington

High Line is a magnet for hipsters, both wet and dry. If you can tolerate them, you may love the High Line. If you are like me and have Archie Bunker-like sensibilities...there are 1000 better things to do.

Also - take a Circle Line ferry tour around Manhattan. Not too pricey, great views, lasts 2-3 hours and few hipsters!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Phantom

I'm fairly un-hipster so I'll go with you on that one. Was looking at boat trips so the Circle Line seems like a great idea - Thanks again Gus

Gusington

You're welcome. Be cautious when out and about. NYC may be gentrified but it does not mean that all crime is gone. Use common sense - if you are suddenly not comfortable somewhere, leave.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

meet Gus in central park.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.