Bald eagle spotted

Started by steve58, March 07, 2020, 02:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Woke up this morning and pulled up the blind and spotted a bald eagle (minus the flag bling :D ) eating breakfast over at our neighbors.  Unfortunately it (the breakfast) looked to be either a barn or neighborhood cat (sorry BanzaiCat).  Tried to get some pics, but the camera on my phone sucks at zooms.  Eagle didn't cooperate either and grabbed his breakfast and flew up over a fence into a pasture.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

In my neck of the woods (Orange County, NY, West Point USMA area) their populations are booming. They are very beautiful.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

We are in Northern Virginny.  I've only seen the eagles 2-3 times in the 15 years we've been here...and one once at Mt. Vernon.  They are indeed beautiful.  As a cat owner(?), I just wish he/she had breakfasted on something less domesticated.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Like your actual neighbor?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Here in Fla. it's the time of year for my little Hummingbird buddies to fly away up north.  :'( I will miss them until the fall.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

We have a famous population of bald eagles over at Reelfoot Lake in the far northwest corner of TN, about an hour's drive away. Every once in a while one will float over our direction, though it's still rare to see one!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

It was rare here to for a long time, until about 10 years ago.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

airboy

We mostly have Golden eagles here.  The Bald Eagles congregate on the lakes.  They are quite common in Alabama.

Auburn ran a program for a couple of decades putting Golden Eagle eggs in Hawk nests.  They imprinted on the Hawks and then propagated in the Wild. 

The Eagle you may see at big sporting events usually comes from Auburn's program.  They frequently have an Eagle flight at Football games.

Coyotes get the cats in our neighborhood.

Tripoli

We've had a rapidly increasing population here in Wisconsin, mostly in the northern parts of the state.  There are some that hang out around the bluffs along the Mississippi and Wisconsin Rivers.  Two years ago, one briefly showed up in our backyard near Madison.  I managed to get some photos, but most were out of focus, but the last one turned out okay.

The other ones weren't as good, as I was too busy fumbling with the camera settings.  This one was okay:

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

airboy

The first one is a hell of a good shot!

Tripoli

Quote from: airboy on March 08, 2020, 12:59:44 PM
The first one is a hell of a good shot!

Yeah, I finally got my act together with the camera for the last shot.  I had been walking around the pond when I spotted the eagle.  The crows in the background of the second photo were raising a ruckus about the eagle being in the area.  By the time I got back to the house, grabbed the camera and got to a place I could take a shot, the eagle was getting ready to fly away.  Most of my shots were garbage, as I was my settings were all wrong.  I finally got everything sorted out in time to get the last shot as he was flying away.  I haven't seen another one on the pond since then. 

Living on a pond gives me an occassional opportunity to get some good shots of wildlife.  Here's one of a sequence  I took last June which shows a Blue Heron getting his breakfast:

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

For those who, like me, didn't want to scroll around a huge blue sky looking for the nice bird... ;)

Quote from: Tripoli on March 08, 2020, 12:07:59 PM
We've had a rapidly increasing population here in Wisconsin, mostly in the northern parts of the state.  There are some that hang out around the bluffs along the Mississippi and Wisconsin Rivers.  Two years ago, one briefly showed up in our backyard near Madison.  I managed to get some photos, but most were out of focus, but the last one turned out okay.

The other ones weren't as good, as I was too busy fumbling with the camera settings.  This one was okay:

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I keep a Wild Turkey in my liquor cabinet. Does that count?  <:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

francisbaud

Quote from: steve58 on March 07, 2020, 04:14:21 PM
We are in Northern Virginny.  I've only seen the eagles 2-3 times in the 15 years we've been here...and one once at Mt. Vernon.  They are indeed beautiful.  As a cat owner(?), I just wish he/she had breakfasted on something less domesticated.
Yea it must be stressful as a cat owner to know there's a big eagle around!