Harpoon V

Started by Jarhead0331, August 02, 2020, 11:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Wburn

I came across this bit of information and thought I would share it with you. I believe it's the board game but there might be some interest here for Larry Bond's creations
http://www.admiraltytrilogy.com/harpoon.php

Dammit Carl!

Dang.  Glad to see the ol' girl is still dancing out there pretty as ever.

-Modern boat stuff ain't my thing, but respect where respect is due.

Silent Disapproval Robot

It comes with a free Herman Hum.

ArizonaTank

This was a great ruleset back in the day...  I am seriously considering buying a copy. But I don't have the minis anymore. Maybe somebody already has a set for Table Top Simulator.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Yskonyn

While this is undoubtedly a cool product and I am very curious about what's in the supplement books, I just can't stop thinking about how much less of a hassle Command: Modern Ops would be to setup and play the exact same scenarios.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 03, 2020, 03:18:03 PM
While this is undoubtedly a cool product and I am very curious about what's in the supplement books, I just can't stop thinking about how much less of a hassle Command: Modern Ops would be to setup and play the exact same scenarios.

There is that... Command: Modern Ops is just so good at what it does. It is hard to envision a mini game that can compete.

However, there is also something very viscerally satisfying about minis that computer games just don't seem to capture for me. I can't put my finger on it exactly but a computer game feels less "real". I know that makes no sense. And in fact because of the processing power of the computer, a game like Command: Modern Ops is bound to be more of an accurate simulation. Still a good mini game gets "in my bones" in a way a computer game does not.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Yskonyn

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 03, 2020, 06:08:35 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on August 03, 2020, 03:18:03 PM

There is that... Command: Modern Ops is just so good at what it does. It is hard to envision a mini game that can compete.

However, there is also something very viscerally satisfying about minis that computer games just don't seem to capture for me. I can't put my finger on it exactly but a computer game feels less "real". I know that makes no sense. And in fact because of the processing power of the computer, a game like Command: Modern Ops is bound to be more of an accurate simulation. Still a good mini game gets "in my bones" in a way a computer game does not.

Definitely! Most mini games look spectacular on the table.
There is no substitute for the physical aspect of games.
Ease of getting to play, however...

I am looking at you, Twilight Imperium!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

OH EMM GEE.  I had no idea this was still in the works.  Man alive, this is going to get expensive.

Setting up the ship, sub, and aircraft data sheets is a total hassle.  If you can get the pre-made sheets it greatly streamlines the process....think of having to roll out and create every single character of a D&D game (with lots and lots of characters) and you get the idea.

The thing is, CMO is still only single player for us losers.  There is still something to be said for a strong table-top system.  Where to find other players, though....

I've always wanted to run this by forum; I think it would be fantastic.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Ooofah.  To get all those data sheet books for both US and Russia, plus the rules...you're talking probably $200 for pdf and softcover.  At least.

Stoked, but man alive, that's an investment.

I'll probably get the rules and see what it's all about before I go all-in.  I barely used High Tide...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Ok, so I had some time this afternoon to dig into this a bit more.  If you go to the Wargame Vault site, there is a quickstart version of the Harpoon V system, a summary of rules changes, and an annotated scenario playthrough that is free to download.

Some of the changes sound pretty neat, but wow is that a lot of paperwork and math to play out a scenario.  I can only imagine the time it must take to play a big scenario with carriers, planes, and surface combat.

Just a head's up if any of you are curious what it's all about.

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/320161/Harpoon-V-Jumpstart

Yskonyn

Its a super cool system, but I don't dare to play it without some kind of automation tool.

Toonces

I saw that there is a computer program that automates some of the movement and allows for things like range rings, etc.  It doesn't do die rolls or enforce rules, though.

Where I wish Harpoon would go is to somehow streamline the weapons and impacts.  Like, once a ship gets into firing position and looses a salvo of missiles, that are in range of the target etc., just somehow compile a table to consult, roll a few dies and figure out how many hits are achieved.  It seems really tedious to have to move those missiles mile by mile on the map.

I guess I'm saying make it more boardgamey and less miniature-gamey.

There is a ton of great new flavor in H5 like reaction times and such for various systems depending on technology, but man alive adding up all those modifiers sounds tedious as hell.

Gusington

Whenever I think of Harpoon I think of Toonces automatically, for better or worse.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd