Main Menu

HP Reverb G2

Started by Yskonyn, October 18, 2020, 06:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Today I pre-ordered the G2!  :D :D
It's going to upgrade my Rift CV1 and will be used mainly for simming. The most important problem I ran into when playing DCS World on my CV1 was clarity. The immersion VR gives is just unparalled, but the lack of clarity made me stop using VR in DCS in the end.
The G2 should fix this issue, will let me get rid of the mounted sensors as well.
Given the specs I believe the G2 will be the best headset for simming purposes for now and a damn fine all purpose VR experience in its own right for the coming time.
Can't wait for my unit to be delivered! :D

One thing I was worried about was loosing access to my Oculus Store games, but aparently there is a solution for that as well:
https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

I don't think you need to use revive anymore. I used it initially with my vive, but did not need to use it with my reverb and all steam games worked on my  rift s too.

I also preordered the g2 back In August, so I should get mine in November with the first shipment. Really looking forward to it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Ok that's good news.
I am pretty stoked ! The resolution and pixel density should approach the quality of looking at a regular monitor. That's all I was wishing for, really, coming from the Rift.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 18, 2020, 09:44:21 AM
Ok that's good news.
I am pretty stoked ! The resolution and pixel density should approach the quality of looking at a regular monitor. That's all I was wishing for, really, coming from the Rift.

I only wish it had a better FOV. Then it would clearly be the ultimate headset.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Yeah the FOV is slightly less than the Index at max spec, but its a good bit more than my Rift, so I'll be happy either way.  :)

On the subject of Revive; could you elaborate, cause indeed, I didn't have any issues with Steam games showing up in Oculus Home, but how does this work for the reverse?
For example: I bought Lone Echo and Beat Saber in Oculus Home; how would I get to display them in Steam or otherwise be able to start them without an Oculus headset without Revive?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 18, 2020, 12:57:40 PM
Yeah the FOV is slightly less than the Index at max spec, but its a good bit more than my Rift, so I'll be happy either way.  :)

On the subject of Revive; could you elaborate, cause indeed, I didn't have any issues with Steam games showing up in Oculus Home, but how does this work for the reverse?
For example: I bought Lone Echo and Beat Saber in Oculus Home; how would I get to display them in Steam or otherwise be able to start them without an Oculus headset without Revive?

I'm pretty sure I've just run games directly from the Oculus app on my Reverb headset.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Nice! That's good to hear, indeed.
I suspected that would not be possible. Thanks!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 18, 2020, 01:12:49 PM
Nice! That's good to hear, indeed.
I suspected that would not be possible. Thanks!

Don't break out the cigars yet. Let me confirm, but I'm pretty sure because I run VR games with Oculus on my sim rig that only has a reverb attached to it and I never installed Revive on that system. just Oculus app, WMR and SteamVR. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

The Reverb should be delivered to me next week.  :smitten:
Have you got any info about when you'll get yours, JH?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 07, 2020, 03:10:46 AM
The Reverb should be delivered to me next week.  :smitten:
Have you got any info about when you'll get yours, JH?

You lucky bastage! When did You Preorder?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Late. October 17th somewhere. But I was lucky to preorder at a place where I still made the first batch.

CptHowdy

after watching some reviews on youtube from people who have received their G2's already i went ahead and ordered one  :D they all seem super impressed so i dont think i will be having buyers remorse  #:-)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 08, 2020, 04:41:26 AM
Late. October 17th somewhere. But I was lucky to preorder at a place where I still made the first batch.

I'm so jealous. Still no word. I ordered on September 3.

On a positive note, the Combat Ready Panel from winwing arrived today. The Take-off Panel is due for delivery on Thrusday.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Well, that was probably to be expected...
Just received word from my retailer claiming that HP was unable to scale up production after a super successful pre order period for the G2, that they have decided to release production on a first in first out bases for countries and then retailers.
This effectively means that my retailer expects to only receive about 10% of total pre orders in the coming week. For those who ordered near the end of sept and later (me!) they now expect shipment to arrive in januari. Boohoo.

Ubercat

JH, how do you like your Reverb controllers? I think I'm within a few weeks of getting a new system with the latest 300xxx graphics card. That should be able to play Reverb games in max resolution. The next step will probably be a Reverb 2.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell