Modern Military FPS for old, slow reflexes player

Started by rwenstrup, December 08, 2020, 12:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwenstrup

I've come to the experts seeking help and guidance ...
The fast twitch and switch FPS games just arn't that fun any more ... I was wondering if there were any suggestions for a modern military FPS that relies on tactics, thinking, positioning ... and not quick twitch reflexes ... any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your help ...

Jarhead0331

Arma III for now. Hopefully in the near future Ground Branch and Ready or Not will get there too. But, yeah, ARMA III can be played the way you want to play it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Father Ted

If you're a multiplayer person, then Squad might be worth a look

al_infierno

If a military setting isn't super important, SWAT 4 is an old favorite tactical FPS of mine that I replay every few years.  Very much in the tradition of oldschool Rainbow Six etc, with emphasis on police procedures like trying to arrest perps instead of killing them when possible.

https://www.gog.com/game/swat_4_gold_edition
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

rwenstrup

Thanks for the responses! Love the shooting games ...

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on December 08, 2020, 01:42:15 PM
If a military setting isn't super important, SWAT 4 is an old favorite tactical FPS of mine that I replay every few years.  Very much in the tradition of oldschool Rainbow Six etc, with emphasis on police procedures like trying to arrest perps instead of killing them when possible.

https://www.gog.com/game/swat_4_gold_edition

Oh man...old school, but still very good. If you don't mind going even a little further old school, Swat 3 was even better! So many fond memories.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

The Sniper Elite series should be slower (because of the subject) but I don't know if they are really good.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3293/Sniper_Elite_Complete_Pack/

Older but still good : Brother in Arms Road to Hill 30 & BiA Earned in Blood.    (The third one Hell's Highway still is OK but the first two are the better ones IMHO)

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/1847/

Gusington

^Sniper Elite is a decent enough series...to me, nothing ground-breaking. But the key is, like you say, that they can be played at a slower pace and solo.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on December 08, 2020, 02:31:11 PM
^Sniper Elite is a decent enough series...to me, nothing ground-breaking. But the key is, like you say, that they can be played at a slower pace and solo.

Sniper Elite, however, is primarily a third-person game. It switches to first person when looking though optics (which as a sniper game is a lot), but otherwise there is still plenty of moving around and combat in the 3rd person.

Finally, it is WWII and rwen did say "modern"...I guess the definition of modern can certainly vary.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tripoli

Quote from: rwenstrup on December 08, 2020, 12:29:42 PM
The fast twitch and switch FPS games just arn't that fun any more ... I was wondering if there were any suggestions for a modern military FPS that relies on tactics, thinking, positioning ... and not quick twitch reflexes ... any ideas?

How about "Gunfight at the Group Home?" :2funny:  (Seriously, I feel your pain.  My flight simming is suffering as a result of old age.  I'm pretty much limiting myself to A2A's Piper Cub.  70 knots indicated airspeed is about all I can handle anymore....)
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

steve58

Quote from: rwenstrup on December 08, 2020, 12:29:42 PM

Not exactly sure if it qualifies as a FPS in the normal sense, but give World of Warships a look.  It checks off your qualifications (tactics, thinking, positioning).  You can play PvP or PvE.  Just be prepared for teammates who may not be as dedicated as you, but I suspect that's true for most FPS-type games.

edit:  oops.. Missed (ignored? :D) the "Modern" in your title.  Give WOWS a try anyway.  :bd:
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

^Is there any way to play the World Of games solo?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on December 08, 2020, 05:18:16 PM
^Is there any way to play the World Of games solo?

Just you and bots/ai?  Yes, kinda.  Can't speak for WoT or WoWPs, but in WoWS you'd have to setup each battle in a Training Room with just you and whatever bots you select for your team and the enemy team.

Still, playing with others is fun, just don't expect them all to play the way you want.

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

These games always look great to me but I hate people and MP...so they're a no go, usually :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: steve58 on December 08, 2020, 05:08:32 PM

Not exactly sure if it qualifies as a FPS in the normal sense, but give World of Warships a look.  It checks off your qualifications (tactics, thinking, positioning).  You can play PvP or PvE.  Just be prepared for teammates who may not be as dedicated as you, but I suspect that's true for most FPS-type games.

edit:  oops.. Missed (ignored? :D) the "Modern" in your title.  Give WOWS a try anyway.  :bd:

+1 on World of Warships. I am getting on in years myself, and find that I am "twitch challenged." But WOW has a slower pace and I find I hold my own with it; battleships don't strafe, hop and skip after all. The volley fire nature of armament also means you have time the think between shots. Torpedo shots take some time to set up, and the torps are a little slow moving through the water. Also, sometimes you can see the enemy fire at you, 10 seconds before the shot hits, giving you a chance to do some "salvo chasing."

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.