Modern Military FPS for old, slow reflexes player

Started by rwenstrup, December 08, 2020, 12:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

World of Tanks > world of warships
I recommend trying that out.  lots of older folks into military history and whatnot play it.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Father Ted

I love how we've spiralled from "a modern FPS" to World of Warships, but there is a certain logic to it.  Albeit  it's  3rd person, it is a shooter which is tactical and slow-paced.

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on December 08, 2020, 05:31:21 PM
These games always look great to me but I hate people and MP...so they're a no go, usually :/

They are MP, and then...they're not.  In WoWS, you can play totally by your lonesome, just don't sink/shoot anyone on the Green Team (your teammates).   I've even joined a clan in WoWS, a lone wolf clan.  Don't have to play/talk with anyone, even clan mates, but I get the benefits of being in a clan (more resources, cheaper ships, etc).
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

ArizonaTank

If by modern...you would include WWII, WWII Online might...I say might....work for you.
https://www.wwiionline.com/

The game has been around since the beginning of time and its values are "old school." In game, you generally have to travel quite a bit, or wait in defensive positions; you have a lot of breathing space between encounters (maybe too much). Also the players are generally of the more serious variety and are pretty friendly. Finally, twitch jockeys don't have as much of an advantage with bolt action rifles.

The caveat is that I haven't played in a few years, and gameplay may have changed... also the graphics are soooooo last century. Anyway, there is a free play account that you can try to see if you like it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 08, 2020, 02:59:13 PM
Finally, it is WWII and rwen did say "modern"...I guess the definition of modern can certainly vary.

Posted my suggestions last night and missed a few words in the question  :pullhair:

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 09, 2020, 08:31:07 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 08, 2020, 02:59:13 PM
Finally, it is WWII and rwen did say "modern"...I guess the definition of modern can certainly vary.

Posted my suggestions last night and missed a few words in the question  :pullhair:

People are recommending World of Warships, so I wouldn't beat yourself up too much.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

This might not qualify as being modern but I recommend Heroes & Generals.  It's a WWII shooter that has big maps, lots of strategy, but a long grind to level up your characters.

I'm an older gamer like yourself and can't deal well with quick paced quick reflex dependent FPS games so H&G appeals to me.  It's old school and is all about whomever sees whomever first usually wins the fight.  But in order to do that you have to be smart about using the terrain to get to your objective relatively undetected.  Lot's of planning and thinking involved. 

What really appeals to me is watching your characters grow and develop.  You can give names your soldiers, customize their kits, and have as many men as you want.  I find enjoyment in watching them develop into the roles I plan for them such as sniper, close quarters combat, LMG support, etc. 

You also get to drive tanks, jeeps, trucks, and half-tracks.  You can also fly planes of various types.  I've got over 2000 hours according to Steam in this game and I have been playing since 2012.  Never been bored with this game.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

rwenstrup

Thanks for all the replies ... gonna try a number of these out!

MengJiao

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 08, 2020, 05:31:33 PM
Quote from: steve58 on December 08, 2020, 05:08:32 PM

Not exactly sure if it qualifies as a FPS in the normal sense, but give World of Warships a look.  It checks off your qualifications (tactics, thinking, positioning).  You can play PvP or PvE.  Just be prepared for teammates who may not be as dedicated as you, but I suspect that's true for most FPS-type games.

edit:  oops.. Missed (ignored? :D) the "Modern" in your title.  Give WOWS a try anyway.  :bd:

+1 on World of Warships. I am getting on in years myself, and find that I am "twitch challenged." But WOW has a slower pace and I find I hold my own with it; battleships don't strafe, hop and skip after all. The volley fire nature of armament also means you have time the think between shots. Torpedo shots take some time to set up, and the torps are a little slow moving through the water. Also, sometimes you can see the enemy fire at you, 10 seconds before the shot hits, giving you a chance to do some "salvo chasing."

Yep, World of Warships is a fun game.  I always play PvE and you usually get at least a few humans on your side.  On the other hand...er...the reflex thing.  I find that after playing any particular game long enough (such as Hell Let Loose) my "reflexes" (or some other kind of adaptive mental thing) get pretty good.  It does take me quite a while to switch games.  Sniper Elite (blow things up in Italy = 4?) really was an odd experience since it was a lot harder with my HLL reflexes to hit anybody even at 5 feet.  I never quite adapted to Sniper Elite, but it still slightly messed up my HLL "reflexes" -- but in a good way apparently which is even stranger.  It may be that in HLL they have changed the "penetration" so that the usual German SMG spray no longer kills me instantly and I can get your average feldweblejagerElitetruppenlandsehrkradshutz with a carbine and then (once he is down and moaning) the 45 and if he is still making noises a grenade or two.  Seems to work and makes a really big mess.

al_infierno

The ballistics in Sniper Elite always pissed me off.  Somehow it was easier to snipe people from medium distances with an ironsighted pistol (because it shoots directly straight) rather than trying to wave around my bolt action and find the right spot for the wind to carry my bullet into the target.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Okay, MODERN first person shooters (with an option for possible 3PS, since some of those have 1PS option). Main qualification is that they are not twitch fests like, say, the Serious Sam games: you should be able to spend significant and substantial amounts of time being tactical about what you're doing. And it should use modern weapons (say from the 70s onward).

Note: every F/3PS game I can think of does require SOME frenetic action occasionally. So I can only think of games where you USUALLY have the option to plan your attacks.

0.) the ARMA series has already been mentioned. It can be a little wonky (sometimes a lot wonky), but has a lot of options on missions and team command (thanks to mods).

1.) the Far Cry series (not counting Primal for obvious reasons) -- I've played 3 and 4 completely, plus some of their DLC, and what I've heard and read of 2 and 5 don't sound different. During those games, while there were some frantic firefights (usually for plot purposes), I could usually opt to take my time and plan my attacks with little to no twitch actions. The gfx are environmentally amazing (less so with 2 perhaps), and the stories are mostly well-written with fair to outstanding voice acting (some of it iconic). Be aware that this is a very hard-R game series in presentation, and the stories tend to be nihilistic and pessimistic. (Except for Blood Dragon which is a futuristic official DLC mod of 3, and plays as a joyful salute to crazy 80s action sci-fi films. It is, however, VERY sci-fi. e.g. "Blood Dragons".)

As a contrast, having played through F.E.A.R long ago, I recall the interior set design forcing a lot more frenetic gameplay when things were happening. You can slow down time a little but I don't recall that being very prevalent (at least in the first game which is the only one I've played).

2.) the Just Cause series, which may come as a surprise! The game's mechanics (I've played through JC2) do induce the player to do crazy things, getting you into frenetic trouble, but I recall being able to tactically plot my way around fights as much as I wanted to, usually (if not as usually as in the FC series). You can be Batman almost as much as you like (the game introduced grapple-and-glide mechanics before the Arkham series), even if sometimes the game forces you to get into a fistfight on top of a speeding nuclear missile. (...um, spoilers.) Game 2's plot wasn't overly much to write home about, but the series likes to boast the largest contiguous maps in the genre, and they put those maps to very good use! (25x25 km in JC2 if I recall -- maybe in miles?) I seem to recall it being 1PS at least as an option.

3.) SpecOps: The Line -- a standalone entry in the SpecOps series of games (I think), this game expects you to take your time, usually, ordering your three-man squad around (somewhat similarly to the Brothers In Arms series, but this is very modern day). Good but dark story.

4.) Ghost Recon: Wildlands -- the Ghost Recon series itself tends (from what I've heard) to be less frenetic, since the whole point is to set up for ambushes. I've actually played some of Wildlands, and I can confirm that this is basically true for this game anyway! (I would suppose Breakpoint (or whatever the next game was called) is similar. Wildlands (unlike Breakpoint) is also a squad management game.

5.) The modern Tomb Raider trilogy (so far), is much less designed for frenetic gunplay than the original series (at least in the first two installments, I haven't played the third yet). You also don't have to worry much about actual tomb raiding, at least in the first game!  ::) There are some light survival and crafting elements.

Honorable mention, the Splinter Cell series, very much a modern stealth shooter. I've only played the first game, which hasn't aged well by this time (which is why I can only call this honorable mention), but I gather the last one or two entries are more modern in presentation. I recall it being 1PS.

Honorable mention, the Metal Gear Solid series, so much of a modern stealth shooter that the games often prefer you to get through a level without killing anyone! I've only played the first game (the first 'Solid' game I should say, meaning the first in the series in 3D), which only insane people would want to play in its primitive vomit-inducing 1PS. Entries 4 and 5, I hear, are VERY well regarded.

Honorable mention: the Crysis series. I haven't played them myself yet, and I realize there's a lot of sci-fi in them, but the weapons are mostly real-world, and I get the impression you're supposed to be tactically fighting instead of twitch shooting. Others may be able to confirm or deny.

Honorable mention, the Max Payne series, the first two of which badly need modern updates. Mostly interior close quarter combats make the fights frenetic than not, but you can slow down time usually in bullet time to take aim (much more often than F.E.A.R). It's a 3PS series.

Honorable mention, John Woo's Stranglehold, which (being written by Woo) is a legitimate but rather useless sequel to the film Hard Boiled. ;) Gameplay is very similar to the Max Payne series (ironically since they were aping HB with a new intellectual property!), but with more interaction in the environment (e.g. sliding down bannisters while shooting.) I recall it being 3PS.

Honorable mentions: the S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Metro series seem like less frenetic shooters from what I know about them, although I haven't played them myself.

While some of these games/series (e.g. Crysis and Stalker) have sci-fi/fantasy elements, I'm leaving aside the whole genre of zombie survival games, which vary a lot on twitchiness -- often even in the same game! By its design 7 Days to Die is usually not twitchy at all, until you aggravate fast moving zombies or have to deal with a blood moon, but then things get awfully hectic; and of course you can be thrown quickly into a life-or-death reaction situation even with the slow ones, by game design. It's more a crafting survival game than a shooter, however, and in that game's specific case there doesn't seem to be an end-goal other than surviving one more day.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

^Jeez...ARMA is "wonky"? Your list is wonky. Tomb Raider? Spec Ops: The Line? Stranglehold? Max Payne? Jesus dude...total misdirection. Did you go out of your way to recommend decades old third-person twitch shooters that require no tactics, thinking or positioning?  ??? :o :D

Seriously, your list is so off the mark, it must have taken a lot of effort to get there.  :idiot2: :crazy2:

Ghost Recon is a good call though. I'll give you that. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on December 09, 2020, 04:01:29 PM
The ballistics in Sniper Elite always pissed me off.  Somehow it was easier to snipe people from medium distances with an ironsighted pistol (because it shoots directly straight) rather than trying to wave around my bolt action and find the right spot for the wind to carry my bullet into the target.

I didn't really get most of Sniper Elite.  Hell Let Loose now seems even more like a weirdly elegant solution to how to have a WWII FPS.  Or maybe that's just where my "reflexes" sort of average out.  Or maybe human-driven players in a pretty ordinary landscape are just easier to deal with with a semi-auto rifle than robots in a maze of mazes.  Plus, of course, your own side can be helpful in HLL, so that's a plus.

Gusington

I too expected to enjoy the Sniper Elite games more than I did.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd