Modern Military FPS for old, slow reflexes player

Started by rwenstrup, December 08, 2020, 12:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 09, 2020, 06:57:01 PM
^Jeez...ARMA is "wonky"? Your list is wonky. Tomb Raider? Spec Ops: The Line? Stranglehold? Max Payne? Jesus dude...total misdirection. Did you go out of your way to recommend decades old third-person twitch shooters that require no tactics, thinking or positioning?  ??? :o :D

Seriously, your list is so off the mark, it must have taken a lot of effort to get there.  :idiot2: :crazy2:

Or you don't recall playing them. Or you never played them. Or you played them but decided to run and gun in the FC and JC series rather than being methodical and tactical, which the games also (mostly as I qualified) allow. I doubt you played the modern Tomb Raider trilogy as run and gun, since it will get you killed fast.

And/or you're ignoring the context of most or all of my remarks, for whatever reason. e.g. I put the Payne and Stranglehold games as "honorable mentions" because THEY ARE TWITCH SHOOTERS which due to their bullet time mechanics don't play entirely like twitch shooters (contrasted and compared to F.E.A.R as an example where I recall the slow-down mechanic mattering much less.)

Re "decades old"... really. The only games close to 20+ years old, I specifically warned against trying to play, in favor of their modern series descendants.

But sure, let's go down the list:

ARMA series -- Steam doesn't even sell ARMA 1 anymore from what I can tell searching this afternoon, but I doubt it predates 2001. ARMA 3 is 2013. ARMA 2 was released 2009.

Far Cry 3 -- 2012. I mentioned FC 2 as an aside, 2009. 4 and later are newer than 2012, by the process of math. I mentioned 3 and 4 because I've played those extensively.

Just Cause 2 -- 2010, the later ones are newer, including last year. I mentioned that one as an example, because I've played it extensively.

SpecOps: the Line -- 2012. On checking a moment ago, it seems to be exclusively 3PS, but I often forget I'm watching a character over-the-shoulder. I beat the game, and I know from experience it is not primarily a twitch shooter.

I will provisionally assume you weren't calling Wildlands decades old.  ::) But you agreed that it can be played as a tactical shooter. (It can also be played run and gun, although I don't know I'd recommend that.)

Modern Tomb Raider trilogy -- 2013 to last year. That may be exclusively a 3PS (I wouldn't be surprised since Laura Croft obviously ;) , but it is designed from the ground up to be a tactical methodical modern weapon shooter. It was SO VERY MUCH redesigned that way, that the devs controversially dumped Laura's signature two-pistol style in favor of a bow (a la Rambo) as the primary weapon.

The most recent one or two of the Splinter Cell series -- 2010 and 2013. Honorable mention because I've only played the 2008 original which as I warned has not aged well (despite not being decades old). Perhaps the last two went to run and gun instead of stealth tactical, and they just marketed them wrongly? I hadn't heard that before. It's still being marketed as tactical stealth series; Steam reviews seem to agree (even if they complain occasionally about how well it still works that way).

Metal Gear Solid series -- who thinks this is a twitch shooter series??! I warned off from playing the original games where the gameplay (coming from console) has not aged well. 4 and 5 date from 2008 and 2015. I haven't played them, but from what I've heard 4 doesn't have the same modern gameplay problems that the first and second (arguably the 3rd) have.

Crysis series -- 2007 to 2013. Honorable mention because I haven't played them yet, but I'm well aware that by game design you can go tactical methodical instead of run and gun. Also they get increasingly sci-fi.

Max Payne series -- far down on the list because they ARE twitch shooters in cramped quarters (like FEAR), but the extensive bullet-time makes them play rather differently from other twitch shooters (unlike FEAR where the slow-time effect didn't make much difference to me. Though as I recall FEAR's levels weren't designed for run and gun, but to fight slowly against tactical ambushes. Be that as it may.) I warned against trying to play the earlier two games, the first of which really is almost decades old (2001). MP3 is 2012.

Stranglehold I mentioned for its oblique relationship to the Payne series, and because it plays similarly; a twitch shooter with lots of bullet time for reflex help. 2009 now that I look it up (I recalled it being a few years later, probably because that's when I got around to playing it. ;) ) I played it on the Playstation 3, and as far as I can tell now that I've looked it up it's a PS3 exclusive.

I fully welcome any mention of other single player capable (or mp exclusive?) modern 1/3PS shooters which can be played in a tactical, methodical fashion. These are the ones I could think of with recent entries that are either well known as tactical shooters by design (Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, Crysis designed both ways), or which I know from personal experience can be played mostly tactically or were designed that way, or (as a far option) which I know from experience require less twitchy reflexes due to a prevalent bullet-time mechanic.

I'm sorry I don't know of many tactical-capable modern-weapon shooters from this particular decade, but I'm only moderately interested in shooters. Mainly because I don't like playing primarily run-and-gun shooters. So I did not recommend any.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 08, 2020, 01:55:19 PM
Oh man...old school, but still very good. If you don't mind going even a little further old school, Swat 3 was even better! So many fond memories.

SWAT 4 Gold doesn't seem to be on Steam for some reason, but it can be bought on GoG. SWAT 3 Gold edition can be bought either way.

(2004 and 2001, by the way.  ::) ::) ::) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

GDS_Starfury

great story!

anyway.  Id still recommend world of tanks.  you can almost play it at whatever speed you want.  by that I mean there are so many types of tanks that theres going to be something there to suit your reflexes.  lumber along at 15 kph in Maus or act like an X-wing in a EBR at 95 kph.  sit it the back, be sneaky on the flanks, run in dash out, hide in a bush.... whatever.  hell you can just sit in the back and play arty and just shit on people when your having a bad day.  the matches are 15 minutes max so it doesnt have to be a huge time sink.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

rwenstrup

Thanks for the continued discussion ... like playing shooters ... always have ... but I enjoy the thinking and positioning a lot more than fast reflexes ... thanks for the input!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Toonces

You might want to have a look at the Operation Flashpoint series. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Dammit Carl!

Not certain if this fits per se, but maybe The Division?  Personally, I've sunk tons of time into Division 1 (and while I've got Division 2, I've not played it near the same amount yet) and think it may have what you are looking for.  It's PvE mostly with the possibility of PvP action in the Dark Zones.  You can also buddy up with some pals and go a raidin' too!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Toonces on December 12, 2020, 01:10:14 PM
You might want to have a look at the Operation Flashpoint series.

I'm fuzzy about how well that even works on modern systems, but... oh, you mean the newer ones? I was going to say that the original two campaigns (Cold War Crisis and Resistance, minus the expansion playing on the Soviet side) were officially ported over to Arma 2 or 3 some time ago.

I know the IP still exists -- Red Dragon something? -- but I've heard very little about it, other than a recollection of the release being buggy. (So, par for the course from the OpFlash/Arma devs!  >:D ) I'd like to hear how well the game plays now that time has passed.

Checking: ah, "Dragon Rising". My brain thought I remembered a further one after this, but apparently I'm wrong. Recent reviews are very good. Only $10 when NOT on sale! I'll have to keep this in mind for later...

Toonces

Yeah, I was talking about Dragon Rising and Red River.

I played a bit of Dragon Rising and found it to be fairly slow and methodical like ARMA.  I think Operation Flashpoint was the first ARMA 1.  It appears to have been optimized for gamepad/console gaming, but it can be played with a mouse/keyboard.  I never finished Dragon Rising, but I played a couple of missions and enjoyed it, specifically because it's not a twitch shooter.  I thought single player worked well, controlling just a small fireteam of soldiers.

I own, but haven't played Red River.  Too many games, not enough time.

Definitely worth a wishlist and grabbing on sale; I think it would suit OP's criteria very well.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

rustyshackleford

How modern are we talking?

If you want to play the greatest FPS ever created (next to Rogue Spear and Operation Flashpoint 1), then check out Ghost Recon: Gold Edition (now on GOG for the low, low price of 10 bux!).

Slow-paced, tactical shooter with an emphasis on squad coordination and brains, not twitchy trigger fingers. It has had a permanent place on my HD for the past 20 years almost and there are plenty of mods to keep it fresh.

Smuckatelli

Quote from: rwenstrup on December 08, 2020, 12:29:42 PM
I've come to the experts seeking help and guidance ...
The fast twitch and switch FPS games just arn't that fun any more ... I was wondering if there were any suggestions for a modern military FPS that relies on tactics, thinking, positioning ... and not quick twitch reflexes ... any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your help ...

The simple answer is to mimic real life. You don't need complex scenarios or trigger lines and a butt load of programs.

You need a piece of terrain with opposing forces that have orders that go against each other. Could be a low end FPS, doesn't really matter. When you get to the point that the AI is the most important aspect of a game.....you no longer have a challenge, you have a game.

Smuckatelli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 09, 2020, 06:57:01 PM
^Jeez...ARMA is "wonky"? Your list is wonky. Tomb Raider? Spec Ops: The Line? Stranglehold? Max Payne? Jesus dude...total misdirection. Did you go out of your way to recommend decades old third-person twitch shooters that require no tactics, thinking or positioning?  ??? :o :D

Seriously, your list is so off the mark, it must have taken a lot of effort to get there.  :idiot2: :crazy2:

Ghost Recon is a good call though. I'll give you that.

Spoken from an 0331 perspective.