Skorpions and Tigers: June 15, 1941

Started by MengJiao, March 03, 2021, 08:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Well...the epic struggle rolls down to the wire...Rommel launches Skorpion Two just as Wavell unleashes his Tigers.  Here are the fixed defenses and the relatively non-mobile forces from Bardia, through Fort Capuzzo to Sollum:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 03, 2021, 08:59:01 PM

Well...the epic struggle rolls down to the wire...Rommel launches Skorpion Two just as Wavell unleashes his Tigers.  Here are the fixed defenses and the relatively non-mobile forces from Bardia, through Fort Capuzzo to Sollum:

The Poor Axis: they roll well for movement and command (mostly), but when push comes to shove, the Imperialists roll better in the actual fighting and here the Scots Guards punch right into the 15 PZ and do some serious damage while storming one of the Omars as the Tigers go after the Skorpions:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 05, 2021, 04:36:41 PM

The Poor Axis: they roll well for movement and command (mostly), but when push comes to shove, the Imperialists roll better in the actual fighting and here the Scots Guards punch right into the 15 PZ and do some serious damage while storming one of the Omars as the Tigers go after the Skorpions:

Day two does not start off well for Rommel and company either as an Indian Brigade approaches the fast-contracting horizons of KG Bach:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 10, 2021, 12:28:13 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on March 05, 2021, 04:36:41 PM

Day two does not start off well for Rommel and company either as an Indian Brigade approaches the fast-contracting horizons of KG Bach:

DAy three...the nightmare continues.  As this game makes clear (and what I never understood before) is that the Imperialists had plenty of reasonably good infantry and that one fact (and the slow growth of Allied air forces and plenty of American Planes and Tanks) meant that the Allies were eventually going to control the Mediterranean Theater.  The problem -- of course -- until the topograph of the Qatara Depression south of El Alamien solved it -- was how to balance a strong infantry force by the coast with some sort of reasonable armored force on the southern flank.

I think Rommel and Co are going to give up on Fort Capuzzo and see if they can exhaust the Imperialists or run out the clock (only 7 days to go) and hold on to Bardia.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 12, 2021, 12:29:42 PM

I think Rommel and Co are going to give up on Fort Capuzzo and see if they can exhaust the Imperialists or run out the clock (only 7 days to go) and hold on to Bardia.

Day Four...somehow doesn't look so bad.  Rommel and co still hold Fort Capuzzo and fatigue and SNAFUs are slowing the Imperialists.  I don't want to admit it since it seems like asking for bad luck -- but I think Rommel and Co will be able to hold on to Bardia.  Just six days to go and the 4th armoured Bde is at fatigue level 3 and won't be doing much for a bit:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 18, 2021, 08:24:24 AM

Day Four...somehow doesn't look so bad.  Rommel and co still hold Fort Capuzzo and fatigue and SNAFUs are slowing the Imperialists.  I don't want to admit it since it seems like asking for bad luck -- but I think Rommel and Co will be able to hold on to Bardia.  Just six days to go and the 4th armoured Bde is at fatigue level 3 and won't be doing much for a bit:

Day Five...Rommel and Co still hold Fort Capuzzo, but I think it is time to pull out and leave Bardia.  5th Light and 15 PZ are likely to get pulverized and still not make much difference.  Bardia and even Fort Capuzzo might even hold out just fine anyway:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 23, 2021, 09:28:39 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on March 18, 2021, 08:24:24 AM

Day Five...Rommel and Co still hold Fort Capuzzo, but I think it is time to pull out and leave Bardia.  5th Light and 15 PZ are likely to get pulverized and still not make much difference.  Bardia and even Fort Capuzzo might even hold out just fine anyway:

Day Six...Fort Capuzzo falls, but with only five days to go and the Imperialists getting fatigued, it seems unlikely that Bardia will fall: