Main Menu

THEC64

Started by MiniHexer, June 22, 2021, 03:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Incidentally! -- I happen to have a tall box full of C64 games and books sitting off in the guest bedroom (where we gather things on the way to charitable donations). Don't have the computer itself anymore, partly because I wasn't sure it even worked, and also because the emulator system had just been released at the time so I didn't think there'd be a market for the original hardware.

Interested parties can drop a note here, and/or pm me.

Bidding wars will be accepted.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Toonces

Quote from: MiniHexer on June 24, 2021, 11:07:45 AM
I say bring back the 80s

Here here!  I second the motion!

Those were some good times.  I never did program on the C64 (although I had one), but I did do some programming on the Atari 1200XL.  I seem to remember having a book called Programming Atari Games or something of that nature.

I remember I had this cool idea for the name of a game, something like Rescue on Delta-7 (I guess it was going to be some sort of space game).  So I spent like two days programming the lines so that the title screen would come up.  I finally got it to work, and I was so proud for about 2 minutes.  Then I thought, "ok, so now what's the game going to be?"   Uhhh....I guess I should have thought of that first maybe?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

My Grand Un-fulfilled Scheme from back then was to design my own scenario for Battles of Napoleon, I can't remember which battle I was going to do though. One of the 1814 fights.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Breh even I programmed my C64 back in the 80s. And my cousin's VIC-20. Never programmed my Amiga as that started to get a bit more complex.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I got pretty far in designing an adaptation of the classic boardgame Dungeon on my C64, using Basic, but I ran out of usable memory and didn't know how to make disc access work properly to get around the restriction. But I had the board design set up across six screens (based on the six divisions of the original folding map), using simple C64 gfx; and coding to shuffle monsters and treasures into the rooms; and was working on the coding to move pieces around when I ran out of RAM.

Ah well, programming was never really my thing.  :dreamer:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 24, 2021, 01:28:58 PM
Incidentally! -- I happen to have a tall box full of C64 games and books sitting off in the guest bedroom (where we gather things on the way to charitable donations). Don't have the computer itself anymore, partly because I wasn't sure it even worked, and also because the emulator system had just been released at the time so I didn't think there'd be a market for the original hardware.

Interested parties can drop a note here, and/or pm me.

Bidding wars will be accepted.  >:D

Soooo...

What's in the box?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Yeah can we see a shot of the innards?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

....I may have to get back with an entirely new thread on this. I started unpacking the box, and I need to re-de-fragment the contents: I had consolidated many games into fewer boxes to save space (this was the computer I first went to college with, although a DOS/Win PC for gaming and a Mac for writing and working weren't far behind, so shipping/packing space was necessarily a priority.)

Consequently, most boxes don't have their discs (these being packed separately in two containers -- which I'm in the process of also sorting out with their boxes where I can find them), and many boxes have extra material in them, with some boxes having their material in other boxes (because aside from boxes I threw away to save space I didn't take all my remaining boxes to college, so packed what was necessary into other game boxes.)

Beyond that, I know I have some games copied from friends' computers, like C64's version of Spy vs Spy, on regular floppy discs, only a few of which are labelled (SvsS being the first exception I found); but I think most of the unlabelled discs are save archives wherever I found room to tuck game-saves. (No doubt I tried to save my 'saves' by topical category, but I expect some of my Gunship saves, for example, might be on a disc with saves from Sid Meirs' Pirates.)

One of the games, Echelon, "requires the LipStick", according to its disc, which is only kind of true: the game pretends to have spoken command functions, but it simply picks up any sound from the mic and uses that for one command you assign it in the game (like locking targets or bringing up the map or docking or whatever.) If I recall the function-assignment correctly, then the game should be playable without it: just makes sure all functions are assigned to some other input, be that keyboard or joystick or whatever.

I know another space/combat/discovery game, the title of which I forget, had a keypad sold with it (very expensive at the time, nearly $80 total!), which was the only present I got for Christmas the year we moved into our current house, and I'm about 80% sure that was also a C64 game, because I don't recall getting the PC until later that year before I went to college. If so, then that game won't be playable because I have no idea where the keypad went. I don't recall for sure if that's also Echelon, however -- specifically, I can't recall having two 3D space-fighter-exploration games like Echelon, regardless of which computer. (The next space-fighter game I got was Wing Commander 2 for my PC, having missed WC1. I always wanted Privateer while I was in college, but never talked myself into spending the money on it for some reason.)

Having unpacked about half the big box, I'm running across a bunch of games I had totally forgotten (such as Green Valley Games' Spider-man and Hulk, which are mostly text adventures as I recall, with some pix graphics), as well as some super-classics like the original Crush Crumble and Chomp.

Some of my desk drawers may also have discs (unlikely) and docs (a little more likely) dating back to the C64, which I'll have to search through to be sure.

Staggerwing

Let us know what you find. I'd be interested in making an offer depending on what you finally list.

Most of the software for the commodore 8-bit line (and the 16-bit as well) is available 'elsewhere' so the physical materials (boxes, maps, keyboard overlays, etc) will be of most interest. Odds are that a sizable percentage of your disks have succumbed to what is informally called 'bit-rot', meaning some or all of the data has become corrupt and the magnetic media itself may have deteriorated beyond saving. Still, the disk itself with its label may be considered part of the collectability.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Yeah, I have no way of testing whether the floppies are still viable to any degree. I do still have a VC modem, which is kind of hilarious because I don't know that I ever used it! -- and I have the instructions for the floppy drive and for the C64 itself, but not the hardware anymore.

It'll have to be a detailed list, because this is the (still somewhat partial) photo!

Click on the photo to toggle a zoom/unzoom.

I know this has to be at least a partial photo, because I'm sure Bro and I beat the first Krynn game of the trilogy, thus on the C64 (and the third game, probably also on the C64); and the Battletech Crescent Hawk duology on the C64. I know we beat Phantasy 3 on the C64, too (but I only found the first two); and all three Bard's Tale games (but I only found the 2nd one). I'm pretty sure Secret of the Silver Spears (or whatever the 3rd GoldBox D&D game was called) was on the C64, although we didn't beat it due to (apparently) a fatal bug late in one of the maps.

Naturally, much of what I've got there has been superseded and/or directly remade or ported over. Even the goofy strategy game North and South got a remake for modern PCs on Steam recently! -- so for example if you want to play the SSI D&D games, most of those can be found at GoG. I don't know whether they have the SSI Buck Rogers trilogy (due to IP issues), which was made on the same engine, but then again I haven't found ours yet, either, and I know we played and beat that. At some point we just moved over to the PC, of course, but I don't know when.

Sir Slash

Dark Knights of Krynn, one the very best of the Gold Box series!  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 23, 2021, 09:45:02 AM
PERVS! My Amiga was a Lady. A wholesome, nurturing, caring Lady who would bake cookies and cupcakes for me if she had hands and arms. And she was LOYAL unlike those whorish consoles who would just let anybody fondle their controllers. And she NEVER laughed at me when I got my ass shot-off playing A-10 Warthog or Silent Service. Or at least she waited until I left the room first.  I miss her.  :dreamer:

because it seems to be the way of things here I will once again disagree.
a lifetime ago whilst in art school the budding, pasty cgi people all did their work and rendering on amigas.
they did not treat them like ladies.  the only way they acted like ladies was to bitch out all the time, not put out when you wanted it and cost a small fortune.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

Pratt if you have a copy of SSI's Sword of Aragon up there with an intact manual...I would be interested!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

anyone else read that as " an erect manual " ?  :hide:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

^Everyone's love manifests...differently

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd