Crew member killed by accidental discharge on set of Alec Baldwin movie

Started by al_infierno, October 22, 2021, 01:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

RIP, very sad news about this tragic and preventable accident.   :(

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/sheriffs-office-alec-baldwin-discharged-prop-gun-that-killed-crew-member-wounded-director/article_9612afc6-32c5-11ec-9e2e-e3cc47b69ce5.html

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/alec-baldwin-rust-incident-santa-fe-1235094931/

QuoteActor Alec Baldwin discharged a "prop firearm" Thursday on a movie set south of Santa Fe, killing the director of photography for the film he was working on and wounding its director, the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office said.

QuoteDeadline previously heard from sources that a principal castmember cocked a gun during a rehearsal, unaware that there were live rounds in it, hitting two people, a man and a woman. The man was hit in the shoulder, while the woman was airlifted to the hospital for stomach surgery.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Pete Dero

This is a nightmare scenario for the victims and their family but also for Mr. Baldwin (it seems he fired a gun meant to be loaded with blanks).

How do you go on with life after that ?

Jarhead0331

This has happened a few times in the past. If I'm not mistaken, this is how Brandon Lee, the son of legendary martial artist, Bruce Lee, was tragically killed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Con

From an article I read - Always liked the film Crow a lot

Tragedy can also strike if the prop gun is improperly loaded, which is what happened to Brandon Lee, son of Bruce Lee, in 1993. He was on the set of his film, "The Crow," shooting a scene that made use of a prop gun that was mishandled. A cartridge with a projectile tip had unknowingly become stuck, and when a blank round was loaded and fired, it pushed the live round out, fatally wounding him. He died hours later, just 28 years old.

Gusington

Terrible. I remember the death of Brandon Lee like it was yesterday. The Crow is a really good movie too, a favorite of mine.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Can imagine the armorer on the set (or whomever is in charge of weapons) is in for a spot of trouble.

Tripoli

Not to second guess Baldwin, as I'm sure he feels terrible.  My prayers are with him and the family of the deceased and injured.  But, anyone handling a weapon should personally ensure it is safe, and not depend on the word of  an armorer, or anyone else, that it is safe.  And even if it is safe, don't point it directly at anyone.  Ever.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

al_infierno

Quote from: Tripoli on October 22, 2021, 11:24:08 AM
Not to second guess Baldwin, as I'm sure he feels terrible.  My prayers are with him and the family of the deceased and injured.  But, anyone handling a weapon should personally ensure it is safe, and not depend on the word of  an armorer, or anyone else, that it is safe.  And even if it is safe, don't point it directly at anyone.  Ever.

Agreed 100%.  I'm sure more details will come out soon, but the situation just baffles me.  He shot two people, so it doesn't sound like it was a situation like Brandon Lee where there was a freak malfunction.  I don't want to say anything that comes across like I'm passing judgment on Baldwin, so I'll leave it at "it was preventable."
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Tripoli on October 22, 2021, 11:24:08 AM
But, anyone handling a weapon should personally ensure it is safe, and not depend on the word of  an armorer, or anyone else, that it is safe.  And even if it is safe, don't point it directly at anyone.  Ever.

For sure, but that sort of action is ingrained in me due to Dad and military time and I'm not going to ascribe what I'd do vs. anyone else.

al_infierno

I didn't see this confirmed, but apparently the armorer took the gun off set between takes, fired live rounds with it, and forgot to clear it.  Hard to believe someone would be so negligent in their job, especially someone who I'd expect to be a gun guy.

- MengJiao

CJReich46

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 22, 2021, 06:45:00 AM
This has happened a few times in the past. If I'm not mistaken, this is how Brandon Lee, the son of legendary martial artist, Bruce Lee, was tragically killed.

I remember the story about that. It hurts to watch The Crow sometimes because of what happened.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on October 22, 2021, 12:39:37 PM
I didn't see this confirmed, but apparently the armorer took the gun off set between takes, fired live rounds with it, and forgot to clear it.  Hard to believe someone would be so negligent in their job, especially someone who I'd expect to be a gun guy.

Comfort breeds complacency.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 22, 2021, 01:20:10 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on October 22, 2021, 12:39:37 PM

Comfort breeds complacency.

Someone on Reddit pointed out that if this is a film set in the 1800s, they may have been using an authentic Colt from the period, which would certainly be a rare opportunity for any gun nut.  I can see how the temptation to take the gun off set was strong, but it's still very baffling to do that with an actor's prop.

- MengJiao

Dammit Carl!

Further bits coming out saying where the union folks walked off the set due to safety issues (and some others) recently.  Somebody going to be in some deep shit for sure.

al_infierno

From what I'm reading, the armorer on set was quite rookie and probably thrust into the role as a cost cutting measure.  There were two accidental (or negligent?) discharges on set in the week leading up to the incident.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/23/entertainment/alec-baldwin-rust-shooting-saturday/index.html

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/armorer-alec-baldwin-rust-set-admitted-nervous-abilities

- MengJiao