Manor Lords?

Started by Victor, December 20, 2022, 01:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor

I thought Manor Lords was a single IIRC Eastern European indie developer working on it for a few years now but recently I saw that Hooded Horse is now publishing the game?

Is that something recent or has it always been like that? Not that it changes things for me either way, Hooded Horse is publishing lots of games I like!

Jarhead0331

Hooded Horse announced its relationship with developer Slavic Magic in early June. I think most of the Hooded Horse catalog consists of titles that were under indie development without any publication deal.

Tim Bender is good at spotting worthy additions, and I agree, Hooded Horse is quickly becoming one of my favorite publishers with some of my most anticipated titles.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I have been salivating over Manor Lords as a Total War killer for many months. Probably one of my top five most anticipated games for (hopefully) 2023.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

There is good news and bad news...

The good news is that Grogheads has received press code from Hooded Horse. The bad news is that our impressions are under strict NDA through 4/12.

We're working with Hooded Horse to set up a code giveaway for one lucky Groghead once the game is released into early access on 4/26. Keep your eyes on the Hooded Horse subforum for details!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

{eyeing date in corner of monitor}
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

This one has been hyped for so long...I am actually a little cool on it.

After such a long wait, we get...drum roll...early access... :hair:

I find myself feeling similar detachment with other games that have just been taking forever to be released.... (looking at you Task Force Admiral)

Sometimes we have seen years of teaser trailers, dev logs and glowing influencer reports...only to finally be given a product that still isn't quite there. And nowadays, we often have to pay near full price for "early access.".

I will get "Manor Lords"...just not right away.  Maybe the first sale.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

The embargo on impressions has been lifted so here it goes.

I only have about 3-4 hours into it, but I like it. I like it a lot. Its game play loop is highly addictive and while I understand your disappointment over the planned early access release, there seems to be a lot of content in the EA build I've been playing. A fairly robust economy that requires the gathering of raw materials, refining, and manufacturing into final products that can be used or traded in the marketplace or with neighbors. The farming system seems to be quite authentic, with fallow fields requiring planting, crops requiring harvesting and the use of rotation in order to restore fertility.  Some of the same concepts trickle into livestock management, as well. The graphics are really very nice and watching the day and night cycle, weather and seasonal changes keeps the map interesting.

I have not explored combat, diplomacy or expansion on the strategic map, but it all seems to be there.

This one has potential to be a great game. It certainly has drawn my attention away from Helldivers 2, which I did not think would be possible.

I'll post some more impressions as I play more. I definitely want to pick a fight, but mercenaries are expensive and recruiting militia or soldiers from your population is prohibitive because you need those workers to farm fields, hunt, gather resources and manufacture products. Its a very delicate balance. In fact, workers seem to be the primary commodity that are always in short supply. In order to attract more to your village, you must satisfy their needs, keep approval above 50% and ensure there is adequate housing. As settlers arrive, their families also come and I'm assuming over years, they will multiply.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Manor Lord took you away from Helldivers 2?? That should be part of their advertising.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Some of the higher level game play mechanics seem to be unimplemented, unless I just haven't figured them out yet. Diplomacy is totally still in the womb and the policy system and related features seem to be inactive and undeveloped. Furthermore, I have not been able to generate influence, king's favor or even money/gold, which seem to be the only way to stake claims on new land.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Although I know early access, I thought it would be a little more developed by now, which does concern me a bit on how long it might take a single developer to fully complete, if ever the full vision.  With that said, assuming the release price isn't something crazy, I do plan on buying day one as does look like it has potential to be good.

Gusington

I have to buy day one, going against my newfound mature policy that I don't often follow.

Is there a Manor Lords post launch map somewhere? I would love to see what the future plans are.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Jarhead0331

The design of this game is very elegant and very well thought out. It has been built upon an extremely smart and solid foundation.

I'm starting to figure out influence and taxation. I needed to build a Manor House, which I have now done. This should eventually permit me to develop influence through a Church tithe and money through land taxes.

I just love it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Just read this will be released on pc gamepass day one, although I was prepared to buy, makes it even nicer:)