Shipping Out

Started by Airborne Rifles, November 29, 2012, 09:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

Hey Grogs, I wanted to let you all know I will be deploying to Afghanistan in the next few days.  This is a community that really makes me feel at home even if I don't contribute a whole lot and I just wanted to say I'll probably be contributing a lot less over the next few months, though hopefully I should have pretty easy access to internet.

The area to which I am going in southern Afghanistan is pretty bad right now.  If any of you are religious as I am I would appreciate whatever prayers you could offer for safety and success.  My wife and two kids have a great support community here at Ft. Bliss and I consider many of you to be a support to me in a way.  I've been reading some of your posts since I was in high school and I stumbled on wargamer.com looking for scenarios for Steel Panthers II.  Thanks to you all for being here and I look forward to hopefully continuing to read and contribute from downrange. 

Steelgrave

Keep your head down, brother. God bless and a safe return.

TheCommandTent

Good luck and stay safe, you'll be in my prayers.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

Prayers aplenty that you keep safe. Same goes for those you serve with. Keep us updated on how you are doing- to the extent permitted, of course  ;).
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

son_of_montfort

Stay safe and thank you for your service!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Boggit

I wish you the most incredible luck, should you ever have need of it - hopefully the need won't arise.

Try not to fret about the deployment. You can't influence that you're going and what will be, will be. It's much easier to be fatalistic than mess with your head in worrying about the worst that might happen, when the chances are nothing serious will. The butterflies in your stomach when you dwell on stuff is natural and normal. Don't forget the odds are with you. You will be surrounded by guys who will not only know and do their job right, but will look out for you and care more than you might imagine. Stay focused on your job, work with the team, don't take silly chances and come back safe to tell us about all the funny things that will invariably happen.

You and your unit have my sincere and best wishes for a safe return. God bless. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Toonces

Wow, I'm not happy to hear this.

Make sure you send a snail mail address to someone here- Longblade, JH, Gusington, etc.- and we'll get a care package together for you a bit into your deployment.

I've never been to Afghanistan, but that whole region of the world sucks.  If we can send you a little something a few months in to take away the sting, so much the better.

Stay safe.

<S>
Mike
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

em2nought

Wishing you the best of luck!
Stolen elections have consequences.

Gusington

Good luck AR and prayers for a speedy, safe return. And like SoM says above, thank you for your service.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Take care man. You'll have my thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

Be good and keep sharp.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Smuckatelli

How many days do you have? I may be able to send a culture & language iTouch to you.

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on November 29, 2012, 10:17:46 PM
Wow, I'm not happy to hear this.

Make sure you send a snail mail address to someone here- Longblade, JH, Gusington, etc.- and we'll get a care package together for you a bit into your deployment.

I've never been to Afghanistan, but that whole region of the world sucks.  If we can send you a little something a few months in to take away the sting, so much the better.

Stay safe.

<S>
Mike

+1

Send me a PM with a snail mail addy. I'll put something together.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Greybriar

Keep your head down and your feet and powder dry, Airborne. Say a prayer and so will I. And as my dad told me when I shipped out, "Don't volunteer for anything."

Stay in touch when you can. We will be thinking of you. Good luck and God bless.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Smuckatelli on November 29, 2012, 10:53:39 PM
How many days do you have? I may be able to send a culture & language iTouch to you.

Thanks Smuck.  I'm leaving in the next 48 hours but I did send LB my mailing address in country.