Why Grogheads is better than Boardgamegeek

Started by DicedT, January 28, 2013, 10:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

+100

The balance is right, the people are great, the mix of content is spot-on...there is nowhere quite like it.

Home from home.

...ok, who's turn is it to go and get the beer?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

Quote from: bob48 on January 29, 2013, 05:33:00 PM
+100

The balance is right, the people are great, the mix of content is spot-on...there is nowhere quite like it.

Home from home.

and the women - JESUS!!!! always forgetting the women!

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on January 29, 2013, 08:55:50 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 29, 2013, 01:36:18 AM
BGG is a handy database and source of help files and the like.

+1

I never spend any time with the community there so I honestly can't say I know anything about it. From how it sounds I don't think I'm missing much.

+2 BGG is a great resource, but I've never felt the urge to visit their forums. From what little I've seen, it isn't a place I'll be frequenting.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

+100

Home from home.

I made Welsh Rarebit tonight (over Italian fried pork medallions). Does that count?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

Quote from: LongBlade on January 29, 2013, 07:39:00 PM
+100

Home from home.

cheese on toast? pfffft

I made Welsh Rarebit tonight (over Italian fried pork medallions). Does that count?

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Longdan

digni enim sunt interdicunt

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Longdan on January 29, 2013, 12:54:44 PM
As for Star...well the best we can hope is that some day he will learn to go potty outside.

in a thread about whats good here dont go being a complete asshole.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Longdan

DicedT

Thanks, Starfury and Longdan, for demonstrating how they do things on BGG. You guys are really good roleplayers.

So for us newcomers, how do they do things on Grogheads?

Michael

Longdan

Don't ask to look in the closet.  I would feel alone if he didn't pop up and call me names.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: DicedT on January 28, 2013, 10:10:36 PM
I posted a link to my zombie game article on the BGG wargamer forum (yes, guilty of shameless self-promotion). Then some idiot left a nastygram (as if an article on a paper wargame in Foreign Policy Magazine was an insult to the hobby).

Then I suddenly realized just why Grogheads is different from BGG. Someone posts a thought or a link here, and people respond with a comment, a witticism or a smiley. In other words, people on Grogheads seem to genuinely wish each other well. On BGG, there are too many folks to whom nastiness on the forums serves as self-medication for their anger. And who needs to deal with anger on a hobby forum? It's not like there's a shortage of meanness in the world.

Grogheads has a nice atmosphere. People here seem very comfortable in expressing themselves, probably because the community is supportive. Or maybe it's the moderation, or the membership, or whatever. Much like why bumblebees fly or why an obscure TV show named Star Trek became a legend, some things simply work.

My compliments to all of you Grogheads. Even if the name does sound like a forum for drunken sailors.

Michael

Mike, I'm a long time member of BGG and I have learned that you really really have to be careful with that site. For every helpful post and thread, there are 10 others that are basically trying to be as pedantic, insulting, or contrary as possible. If you want to have fun, go to a wargame thread and say how you like Kickstarter better than P500. That's a fun one. Or just go and try to make as broad as possible of a definition of what a "wargame" is - you will literally get guys telling you that, if it is not a Consim, then it is not a wargame (or if it is not hex-based, it is not a wargame). I'm sure, if a game has zombies and is not historical, that was bound to get some pedantic nastiness.

I think Grogheads has an advantage by being more open to what being a "war-gamer" or "strategy-gamer" means. We realize that people like to read about different types of games and different types of strategy, that you don't have to pigeon hole and do an us-against-them. We also (well, some of this thread is an exception) realize that you can talk about game but not have it be a personal attack.

So thanks for joining up Mike! I really liked your article about females in video game depictions of combat!

Also, if you like zombies, I'm literally chomping at the bit for the deluxe version of Victory Point Games Dawn of the Zeds to be released (apparently very soon)! What games do you like?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

DicedT

Thanks, Montfort. I haven't played a a lot of zombie games (All Things Zombie, Zombies! the card game, and Last Night on Earth). My gaming group likes Last Night on Earth, but I kind of like the Zombies card game with the little plastic pieces. It captures that surrounded feeling that every zombie game needs.

Mike

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Longdan on January 29, 2013, 08:42:33 PM
It is not all about you.

well you insluted me by name in a thread about how things are done different here, which they are.  theres quite a bit of freedom of discourse here along with a fair bit of self moderation.  enjoy it on the web, its quite rare.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Longdan